The Power Of Madonna

Stevie, Shiloah, and Simon opened the door to Autumn's room, making the sound of Kendra yelling louder before they closed it again.

"Who is Momma on the phone with?" Shiloah asked as he and his brothers sat down on Autumn's bed.

"Why is she mad?" Simon asked.

"I don't know, sweet littles," Autumn said as she wrapped an arm around Stevie, who had curled up next to her.

"Is she fighting with Daddy?" Stevie asked, looking up at his sister with innocent, worried eyes.

"No, of course she isn't, Stevie," the older girl reassured. "They love each other."

"Then who?" Simon asked.

"It's nothing we need to worry about, okay? It's probably just some friend or co-worker she's in disagreement with."

"Auttie, I left my Power Ranger in the living room," Shiloah pouted. "Can you go get it for me?"

"Of course, Shi," Autumn said as she got up and left the bedroom. She headed downstairs and into the living room, the sound of her mom yelling at the person she was talking to on the phone becoming louder.

"You lost that privilege!" Kendra shouted. "Don't use that attitude with me! ...She's not your daughter!"

Autumn's ears perked up. She picked up the blue Power Ranger and tip-toed over to the wall to listen in on the conversation.

"Okay, listen here, Harold," Kendra spat. "You're not her dad. You haven't been in her life for 16 years. Where were you when she was starving herself to death? Hm? You weren't the one who had a nervous breakdown as you watched her waste away. You weren't the one who paid to get her professional help. I paid all those doctor's bills. Well, actually Phil paid them... but that's not the point!"

Autumn didn't want to hear any more. She went back upstairs and into her bedroom, handing Shiloah the Power Ranger as she sat back down on her bed, a bad feeling growing in the pit of her stomach.

****

"Santana," Sue said, pointing to the Latina. "What does your bracelet say?"

"W.W.M.D," Santana said, holding up her wrist.

"What would Madonna do? Well, the answer to that question is usually date a younger man. So, let's see some arm candy, girls. Sorry, freshmen. You're going to have to start trolling the middle schools. And you know why? Cause if you want to be as riveting a performer as Madonna, a skill that will nab us nationals this year, you're going to have to start thinking like her, acting like her. Also, a la Madonna, I will no longer acknowledge that any of you have last names. Becky Jackson. From now on, you're just Becky."

Becky grinned widely and clapped as Autumn smiled at her enthusiasm.

"You know, it's like Madonna once said, 'I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay,'" Sue continued. "I'm pretty sure she stole that line from one Sue Sylvester. No, really, she stole it from me. I said it first. Palladium. '87."

****

The Glee girls sat in the choir room, silent chatter filling the empty space. Autumn sat with Brittany and Santana as they quietly discussed their Madonna inspired Cheerios routine.

"Can I ask you guys something private?" Rachel asked, getting everyone's attention.

"Yes, you should move to Israel," Santana said as Brittany and Autumn stifled a laugh.

"It's about dating," Rachel said as she went to the front of the room. Autumn frowned and crossed her arms. "Not that I'm dating anyone. We all know that for the sake of the team, I broke up with Jesse. But let's just say I was dating someone. Let's just say, hypothetically, we went to a Wiggles concert last Friday night, and then because my dads weren't home, we went up to my room and started making out. It was erotic and romantic. And then he said that we should do it. He said it wasn't a big deal and I said that for a girl it was. What if then he got really crabby and left, and didn't even take home the Care Bear I won him playing skee ball?"