Sectionals

"Hey, guys. Let's, uh... Let's gather 'round," Mr. Schue said as he came into the choir room. "Well... I have found my replacement. So, give it up for Ms. Pillsbury."

"She's the one they made me talk to when they found out I was keeping that bird in my locker," Brittany said to Autumn, who furrowed her brows.

"You had a bird in your locker?" the brunette asked.

"Yeah, but then Figgins found it," the blonde pouted.

"So, do you even know anything about music?" Santana asked Ms. Pillsbury.

"Well... what's important is that she cares about you guys every bit as much as I do," said Mr. Schue. "Now I don't know what the future holds for me and for us, but I know Saturday you're going to make me proud. You guys are going to be great. So... goodbye for now."

"Wait," said Mercedes. "What about our set list?"

"I can't help you with that. You've got to figure that out for yourselves," Mr. Schue said before leaving the choir room.

"Well, we have to do Proud Mary in wheelchairs," said Artie. "That's in."

"And Don't Stop Believing for sure," Autumn added.

"What about the ballad?" Tina asked.

"I would be thrilled to contribute a ballad from my repertoire," Rachel said as she stood up and went to the front of the room.

"Okay, you know what, Miss Bossy Pants?" Mercedes asked, standing up with her hands on her hips. "Enough. I've worked just as hard as you, and I'm just as good as you. And, you know, you always end up stealing the spotlight."

"Mercedes, do you honestly think you're as strong of a balladeer as I am?" Rachel asked. "Ballads are kind of my thing," she said to Ms. Pillsbury.

"Okay, um, Rachel, why don't you let Mercedes give it a try?" the guidance counselor suggested.

"Thanks, Ms. P," Mercedes said before turning to Brad. "Do I even need to tell you what song? Horns, strings, keep up."

Autumn's jaw dropped as Mercedes slayed the house down with her singing. She stood up and clapped with the rest of the club when she was done.

"Thoughts?" Mercedes asked Rachel.

"It's clear the room adores you," the diva said. "And, although it wouldn't be my first choice, well, I can't wait to see you sing that song at sectionals. You're amazing, Mercedes, and you deserve it. I'm gonna hug you now."

Rachel and Mercedes shared a quick embrace before the diva left the choir room. Finn and Autumn got up and followed her out, catching up with her in the hallway.

"That was pretty cool in there," said Autumn. "I know that must have been hard for you."

"It was the right thing to do," said Rachel. "I wanted to bring the team together."

"Yeah," Finn nodded as they approached his locker. "You know, I got to be honest. I'm kind of pumped about sectionals. This has been a hard couple of months with Quinn and the baby and everything and... I don't know. I really think that winning could make everything good for a while. You know? Is that stupid?"

"It's not stupid at all," Rachel said, averting her gaze for a moment.

"Is something up with you?" Autumn asked, furrowing her brows as she crossed her arms and leaned up against the cold metal lockers. "You've been acting weird all week."