Hell-O

Trust. A simple five letter word. A simple thing to ask from someone. Something that should never be broken. But what happens when it is? The answer is simple.

You stop trusting.

It was no surprise that Quinn and Puck started dating after sectionals, despite Finn and Autumn's feelings. As a result, the brunette has stopped trusting anyone. She doesn't want to get hurt again. She's taken a vow of silence, only making exceptions for Cheerios practice and times when she absolutely had to talk. Other than that, she hasn't said a word to anyone.

"Can we talk?"

"I have nothing to say to you," Autumn said as she closed her locker and walked away from her ex-best friend.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I never meant to hurt you." Quinn said as she followed the cheerleader down the hall. "I feel really bad about what I did."

"Is that why you're dating him?" the brunette scoffed as she headed up the stairs. "Everything you're saying is just fake because you want me to pity you just like everyone else in Glee Club."

"Auttie–"

"No," Autumn said, turning around and glaring up at Quinn with her hands on her hips. "No nicknames. You lost that privilege. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go study for my test next period. Don't even think about following me."

Autumn turned on her heel and walked away from her ex-best friend. She hated this. She hated her. She hated that she missed her. They had known each other their whole lives, and now it's like she didn't even know her at all.

****

"Hello," Mr. Schue said as he pointed to the board and got no response from the club. "Helloooo?"

Everyone mumbled an unenthusiastic 'hello,' except for Autumn – who didn't say anything – and Rachel – who said it loudly.

"What do you guys say when you answer the phone?" Mr. Schue asked.

"What up?" Mercedes answered.

"Who dis be?" Artie chimed in.

"No, she's dead, this is her son," Kurt mumbled.

"I watch it ring," Autumn shrugged.

"Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone, liked to say, 'ahoy, ahoy' when he answered the phone," said Mr. Schue. "It was Edison who decided that 'hello' was a more appropriate greeting. Look, I am really proud of what you guys did at sectionals. But, as most of you have realized by now, it hasn't made a bit of difference in your day-to-day at school."

"I have a slushie stained training bra to prove it," said Rachel.

"Fact is, we're going to have to be better, even more spectacular at regionals. It's time for some reinvention, some new New Directions. We need a new... hello. Here's your assignment for the week. Come up with a fresh number, but it has to have 'hello' in the song title."

****

Autumn went with Rachel to the Lima public library to look for music for Mr. Schue's assignment. The cheerleader wasn't sure why she agreed, but she thought it had something to do with what Finn said about figuring out what was going on with the two of them.

She wasn't interested in any labels, but if she had to pick one she'd probably go with pansexual. She really did have feelings for Puck when they were going out, and that's why she didn't want to end things, even though he was a jerk. She has feelings for Rachel, even though she refuses to admit it out loud.

Rachel picked up an album of Lionel Richie's biggest hits and turned to the song Hello.

"Lionel Richie, huh?" A boy asked, pushing the album down. "One of my favorites."