The First Time

What Autumn loved most about being a student director wasn't the fact that she got to boss everyone around, it was getting to watch her girlfriend's growth from the beginning to the end of the rehearsal process for West Side Story.

It was bittersweet that opening night was just days away. She was going to miss the extra time she got to spend with Rachel, and she was sad that she wouldn't be hanging out with Artie before and after school anymore. The whole experience brought the whole Glee Club together, and she had no idea what she was going to do with her freetime after the shows this coming weekend.

She watched with a smile on her face as Blaine and Rachel sang Tonight. She could tell how much both actors had grown from the first rehearsal. Their breath support was better, and their voices didn't fight to overpower the other like they had in the beginning.

Autumn clapped as they finished singing and wiped away a singular tear.

"Are you going to cry every time we sing?" Blaine asked.

"You guys just sound really good together," Autumn chuckled. "And I'm very proud of you both."

"My only note is more teeth," Ms. Pillsbury told them.

"Can I be honest?" Artie asked. "This song is about sexual awakening, as is the entire musical."

"Oh god..." Autumn mumbled, closing her eyes with a small shake of her head. "Artie, please don't go there."

"You two lack passion. Have either of you two actually–"

"Arthur, I will flip your chair," Autumn threatened. "That's none of your business."

"Wow, okay, I have to go," Ms. Pillsbury mumbled as she stood up.

"Those footballs aren't gonna inflate themselves," Coach Beiste said as she too stood up to leave. "I'm outta here."

"Look, I remember my first time with Brittany, and I'm sure Autumn does, too–"

"I'm serious, Arthur James," Autumn scoffed. "I will push you down a flight of stairs and enjoy doing it."

"–The excitement, the way it made me feel like a man, even though she called me the wrong name, like, four times...during and after," Artie continued, ignoring the cheerleader's threat knowing that she was bluffing. "What was it like for you guys?"

"Don't answer that," Autumn shook her head.

"Um..." Rachel mumbled, looking up to the ceiling as she thought of an answer.

"I-I'm waiting for the right time," Blaine said.

"Yeah. Autumn and I are, too," Rachel nodded before turning to Blaine and whispering, "I'm so glad that you're my Tony."

"Look, as your friend, I support your strange aversion to fun–"

"Arthur, shut your mouth," Autumn said as she sent the boy beside her a glare.

"–but as your director, I'm concerned."

"I'm sorry," Rachel frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Well, how do you expect to convey the human experience to an audience when you haven't even opened yourself up to one of humanity's most basic and primal ones?" Artie asked as Autumn closed her eyes and pressed a hand to her forehead.

****

Ava looked at her phone, laughing with Naomi as they read through the events happening.

"This is iconic," the Cuban chuckled.

"This is gold," Ava laughed, wiping away a tear.

"What's so funny?" Maya asked as she walked into the Troubletones' classroom with Sugar.