I Am Unicorn

"...And it's been keeping me up at night! I've never felt like this before, and it's...it's so weird," Naomi ranted as she paced the length of Autumn's room. "Like...like...like...ugh, I don't even know how to explain it! But like...I don't know. She's sooooo pretty. I don't care that she made my ears bleed. She looked at me, and I got butterflies. Butterflies!"

Autumn ate a chocolate chip, exchanging a look with Stevie beside her.

"Is it hot in here?" Naomi asked, her brows furrowed as she stopped pacing and fanned herself with her hand. "Cause I feel like it's really hot in here."

"Probably cause you're in here," Stevie said, winking at the older girl.

"Ew," Naomi gagged. "In your dreams, carrot-top."

"Okay, so, um...when did all this start?" Autumn asked as her sister sat down next to her on the bed.

"Do you believe in love at first sight?" Naomi asked.

"Not really," Autumn shook her head. "I mean, when I first met Rachel, like, yeah, I guess I could feel some kind of spark when our eyes met. But I think I was a little more weirded out by the fact that she was spying on me in the locker room shower."

"That's what I'm talking about! The eye contact! It made me feel...things. I hate feelings! They're so confusing." Naomi groaned and burried her face in one of the pillows on Autumn's bed, mumbling incoherent words in Spanish before sitting up again, sighing as she ran a hand through her brunette locks. "I hate feeling like this. It's weird."

"Have you never had a crush before, Naomi?" Stevie asked.

"Nope," the Cuban shook her head.

"Never?" Autumn gasped.

"Ever. Boy's are gross, so I never felt attracted to them. I've thought that some girls were cute, but I've never felt like...this about one. I hate this feeling."

"It's a normal feeling, Nomi," Autumn said as she put a hand on the younger girl's back. "And at least now you know you're not a robot."

Naomi smiled a little, chuckling at the thought as she exchanged a look with Stevie.

"That would be pretty cool if you were a robot," the younger boy chuckled.

"I'd be terrified if Shiloah and Simon were robots," Autumn said with a shake of her head. "God knows they'd have lasers that shoot out of their eyes."

"That would be so cool!" Stevie gasped.

"Not for me. You guys are already chaotic enough as it is."

"Don't let them drink coffee," Naomi said. "Or Celsius. Or Monster. Or literally anything with caffeine."

"Auttie, can we go get frozen yogurt?" Simon asked as he walked into the room with Shiloah.

"What did Mom say?" Autumn asked.

"'Don't even think about asking Autumn, Simon Giardi!'" Shiloah yelled, aggressively shaking his brother's shoulders as he mimicked Kendra.

"Okay," Autumn shrugged. "Let's go. If anyone asks, we're going to the library to study."

"Can I come too?" Naomi asked.

"Duh. But remember–"

"Don't tell Mom," the triplets said in unison.

"Our lips are sealed," Simon said, mimicking locking his lips with a key.

****

"Alright, New Directions! Big news," Mr. Schue announced as he walked into the choir room. "As you all know, Vocal Adrenaline came in second last year at nationals."