Bad Reputation

Autumn was sitting half awake in Spanish when her phone lit up with a call from Naomi. The cheerleader furrowed her brows, but figured it must be important.

"Um, Mr. Schue?" Autumn asked, raising her hand. She motioned to her phone. "Family emergency. Is it okay if I take this?"

"Of course, Autumn, go ahead," Mr. Schue said, motioning to the door before returning to his Spanish lesson.

Autumn grabbed her bag and slipped out of the room before answering her phone.

"Hey, is everything okay?" the older girl asked.

"Hi, so, um, funny story..."

****

Autumn pulled up outside of Lima West Middle School, where Naomi was sitting waiting for her to pick her up. She unlocked the car and the younger girl got in.

"Thanks for coming to get me," Naomi mumbled, running a hand through her hair. "I couldn't call my dad, you know? He wouldn't understand."

"Yeah, of course," Autumn said as she pulled out of the carpool lane. "What about your mom?"

"She's dead."

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean–"

"It's okay," Naomi shrugged. "I was a baby when it happened, anyway. That's the only reason I live with my dad. If it wasn't for that then he wouldn't even be in my life at all. He left when I was still in utero."

"My dad did the same thing," said Autumn. "It's sad how boys are so willing to run from their problems instead of actually taking care of them."

"Always boys, never men," the younger girl chuckled.

"Exactly," the cheerleader agreed as she turned a corner. "Hey, do you want to come with me to Glee Club today? I could introduce you to everyone that way you won't be as nervous about meeting them when you join next year."

"Really?" Naomi gasped. "You mean it?"

"Yeah, of course. I'm sure Mr. Schue wouldn't mind. He once let a person twice our age join."

"Intrigued. Tell me more."

"Well, her name is April Rhodes..."

The whole car ride to McKinley was filled with chatter as Autumn filled Naomi in on all the Glee Club drama, as well the younger girl telling her what she did that was so bad she got suspended. It turns out that some kid was harassing her and all she did was fight back, but of course she got in trouble and he got off with a warning.

"It's just so annoying," Naomi sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Why didn't he get in trouble too?"

"Is he white?" Autumn asked as the younger girl nodded. "Well, there's your answer. It's because he's a white male who most likely comes from a rich family. They're always gonna side with the rich white boy."

"That's so not fair," Naomi grumbled, crossing her arms. "I hate boys."

"Me too. They all suck."

****

Naomi held tightly onto Autumn's hand as they entered the school, her eyes widening as she took in how big it was. As they passed a group of jocks, the older girl protectively put an arm around Naomi, shooting them a glare.

"Who are they?" the younger girl asked.

"Big dummies," said Autumn. "Karofsky and Azimio. They're the school bullies. Stay away from them, and if they mess with you, let me know."

"Noted," Naomi nodded as they continued down the hall.

When they got to the choir room, all eyes of the New Directions fell on them. Quinn's jaw clenched when she saw her ex-best friend holding hands with the younger brunette, wondering how she could just replace her with a 5th grader. On the other hand, Rachel took it the exact opposite and wondered if the cheerleader was simply trying to make her jealous.