Chapter 21 - Phone Calls

A/N: Wooo! go me for uploading! :D

enjoy!

------------------------------

I was interrupted from dreaming by very loud footsteps coming from the hallway. I tried desperately to shut it out but the thuds got louder & louder. Sigh, I thought. I slowly open my eyes to reveal the ceiling of Klaus's room.

I sit up pushing all my weight on my elbows & look around the room, confused.

"What happened?" I whispered to myself.

Seconds later Rebekah enters the room with a wide grin planted on her face. "You're alive!" she cheered & rushed to me & gave me a bear hug.

"Yes, I am." I giggled, "What's going on? Why am i in Klaus's room?"

"You honestly don't remember?" Rebekah questions me. After getting a blank expression she sighed & sat by me. "You were on the verge of death Caroline. You were bitten by a werewolf & no one was sure if your were going to make it. We were all praying that Nik came to you in time." she smiled sweetly.

I blink a few times letting her words sink into me, "Where is Klaus?" I pull the blankets off me & stand up, starting to pace around the room.

"Relax Caroline, his out with Stefan." Rebekah explained. I was about to head for the door when Rebekah whooshed in front of me. "You need to rest."

"I'm fine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dialed Klaus as soon as I entered my car but there was no replies. I texted him & even voice mailed him. Why is he ignoring me?

Seconds later my phone started vibrating & I saw the caller I.D read 'Elena'.

"Elena, are you okay?" I asked as soon as I picked up.

"I'm okay Care, how are you feeling?" she replies.

I sighed, "I'm fine."

"Uh oh, that voice doesn't sound 'fine' at all..." she says.

I rolled my eyes, she knew me too well. "I'm just wondering why Klaus is ignoring me."

"Rebekah didn't tell you?" she says, sounding confused.

"Tell me what?" I question.

"Come over & I'll explain."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The tone of Elena's voice made me even more curious. What could be so important that she couldn't tell me over the phone. What could have Klaus, or I have done. My nerves were getting stronger as I parked on Elena's driveway. I know it's bad news, I mean this is Mystic Falls when is there ever good news.

Elena came straight out & gestures for me to follow her to her dining room. She poured me a cup of coffee & I took a sip. "What happened while I was unconscious?" I ask getting straight to the point.

Elena sighed, "Klaus feels really guilty over what happened."

I raise my eyebrow, "That's ridiculous, it wasn't his fault."

"That's not what he thinks." Elena replied and continued, "He doesn't want you involved with his mess cause he is afraid that something like this will happen."

I nod my head, slowly coming to a conclusion, "What are you saying?"

Elena let out a huge sigh & looked me directly in the eyes, "His thinking of compelling you to leave town & start a better life."

His pushing me away thats what his doing. He thinks I'm not capable of handling myself. How could he think that, after everything that's happened & he just wants to push me away. This isn't fair.

"No.." I cry out, "He would never do something like that Elena, that's not him."

"That's the point Caroline," Elena protest, "Maybe you don't know him! Maybe you fell in love with the man you think you know!"

"J-just-" I stutter, trying to get my words out, "Just stop speaking!"

After that I stomp out of her home & try to dial Klaus's number again. With my eyes blurred I couldn't quite see who I was dialing.

"Hello?"

"Stefan?" I sniffle, trying to get my original voice back.

"Caroline..what's wrong?" He says worriedly.

"Where is Klaus?" I ask, ignoring his question.

"This isn't the right time.." He says.

"Put the phone to him." I order & patiently wait. Stefan sighs & after a few ruffles another mans voice spoke through the line.

"Caroline, love.."

"Don't 'love' me. We need to talk, like right now." I snap.

"I'm a bit busy right now but-"

"It can wait, this can't." I interrupt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was back in my room waiting for a certain man to show up at my window. I told him to meet me at exactly 2:30pm, and it's now 2:24pm. I was very specific on details because I need to know the truth. I don't want to believe what Elena's told me, because I know he wouldn't do that to me.

"I'm here Caroline.." his voice spoke in such a humble way & I stand up crossing my arms.

"Why haven't you called me back?" I ask.

"It's been a long day-"

"And your girlfriend just woke up after nearly dying & you didn't see fit to call?!" I snap, my anger boiling up now.

"I felt ashamed of myself Caroline! I mean you nearly died, because of something I did. No one thought you were going to survive & I don't want to admit it but for a second I thought you were." He growled back. "Caroline.." he breathed, "I don't want you getting caught up in this, I never wanted you to."

"But I am.." I spoke softly, "I'm here now & I'm going to help you through it."

"I'm not going to be able to protect you all the time.." he says. I walk over to him & place my hands on his cheeks, our eyes connected.

"I can protect myself."

"I'm going to leave town for a while Caroline. My siblings & I." he says before I could protest.

Okay, this plan just came out of nowhere. There was no way I could leave town so soon after everything that has happened. But wait..

"I think that it's best you stay here, you are needed here more.." his explains, clutching onto my arms. He draws my hands away from his cheeks & lets them fall back to my sides.

I close my eyes holding my tear drops in but it was no use. I open them again only to find the window of my bedroom, without the man that I love standing right in front of me.

---------------------------

A/N: ....please don't hate me.......

VOTES, COMMENTS & possibly FAN.

thank you for reading!

xoxo