Chapter 36 - Commitments

A/N: So I feel that this story might be slightly dragging on. So I have decided that Chapter 40, will indeed be the last...

Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My stomach growled at me to consume some food but I promised Klaus that I wouldn't eat anymore until tonight. I'm not sure what he was planning exactly but he told me to dress up and just to be ready at 8. This was very unusual behavior seeing as how I've never really been on a proper date with him before. My suspicion got the best of me so I decided to pick up my phone and dial Rebekah.

"Hey Caroline." Rebekah answered. "What can I do for you?" She asked cheerfully. She was in the better mood that usual. It was probably because she was still worked up about her brother being alive.

"This is killing me." I groaned. "Why is Klaus taking me on a date?"

"Well I don't know." Rebekah says sarcastically, I can practically see her rolling her eyes. "Maybe because he is your boyfriend?"

Boyfriend. The word seemed a little outdated for me. I have never intentionally thought of Klaus as my boyfriend before though. He was never my boyfriend, he was something else.. Someone more special than boyfriend. I sighed, completely out of ideas. "Thanks for you help." I say absentmindedly. I hung up and continued to curl my hair.

After half an hour of rummaging through my closet I finally found an appropriate dress for the occasion. It was a simple white strapless dress that had a hint of cream in it & a cringed style in the lower half. To go with the dress I found my plain white cardigan, for when it gets a bit chilly and to finish it off I wore my cream cut wedges.

That night Klaus had picked me up at exactly eight pm. Not a minute longer, I guess he was truly a gentleman. He took me to his favorite place in the world, the back garden of his mansion. Sure It wasn't some fancy dinner under the Eiffel tower but It was enough for me. When Klaus turned on the lights for the garden, everything was decorated. There were blue and white christmas lights hanging on the branches, on the pathway there were confetti leading up to the table right underneath the archway looking over the pond.
I made my way to the table and Klaus pulled out a chair for me. I mouthed 'thank you' and sat down. He then sat across from me.

"Klaus, this is absolutely breathtaking!" I looked at him endearingly. I saw his cheeks turning red and he smiled at me.

"I'm glad you find it beautiful." He said. "It took me almost all day."

"Well it was definitely worth it." I commented.

The rest of the dinner went by as ease. Neither of us brought up Marcel, Haley or any problem going on. Instead we talked about our baby. It was a memory I will not forget, everything was perfect. After dinner Klaus stood up and offered his hand. I grabbed his hand and stood up. We walked down further by the pond in a comfortable silence.

"Are you enjoying your night?" He asks suddenly. He stops walking and I turn to face him with a smile.
"Of course. This night was perfect."

Klaus's eyes wondered around, ignoring mine. He glanced down at his feet then at my nose.

"Klaus?" I say cautiously.

When he finally looked at me in the eye I instantly saw nervousness in his eye. "Caroline.." he stuttered. "I know that I haven't exactly been around lately and I apologize for that."

"Klaus," I spoke softly. "You don't have to apologize-"

"Please. Let me finish what I have to say." Klaus interrupted and I nodded slowly. "Good. What was I saying? But after finding out about our child, I couldn't resist anymore. I had convinced myself that I was no good for you but I now realized that I have been mistaken all along." he paused for a moment then went down in one knee.

oh my- is he-

"Caroline Forbes, will you do me the honors of becoming my wife for as long as you'll have me?"

Air was suddenly hard to reach. My heart was pounding so fast that I swear that he was hearing it. My lungs felt like it had been drain and I have lost the need to breathe. Where is the air? Why can't I breathe?!

Klaus looked at me in so much hope holding a ring in one finger and my hand in the other. I wanted to talk but nothing but short breathes came out of my mouth. Klaus slowly stood up unsure of my reaction. "Caroline?" He questioned.

"Uh.." My voice has come back. "Klaus..Marriage is a huge commitment.." I started.
"I understand that Caroline. I promise, I will never leave you again." He assured me.

I was still not completely convinced though. How can I expect him to be a good husband when I can't even rely on him staying by my side for at least a week. I looked at him who seemed to be still waiting patiently for my answer.

"Klaus." I sighed. "Are you sure you're not just doing this for the sake of being a family for this baby?"

Klaus took a step back, almost like he was slightly offended. "I want to marry you because I love you." He says quietly.

I looked down. "I need to think about this."

He seemed taken a back by my answer but respected it. He nodded and stood with me for another minute before walking off in the opposite direction. Up until now I didn't even realize that marriage was an option for Klaus and I. What i wondered was, what would being married mean to him. As a matter of fact, what would it mean to me?

--------------------------------------

The next day I visited Stefan at his house to ask for some advice. "Well from what I've heard, he clearly wants to marry you." Stefan says.

I was sitting on his couch my legs draped over the arms and my hands were over my head. "But I can't shake off the fact that maybe he is only doing this for my baby."

Stefan looked at me confused. "Then its a win-win situation."

I frowned. "Then he won't be marrying me for love. He will be marrying me for the baby." Stefan thought for a moment and nodded. "I love him but I just don't think that he will be very committed to the relationship as much as i want him to."

Now it was Stefan's turn to frown. "Well won't really know for sure. All i'm saying is, Klaus wasn't always this person. He was cruel, manipulative and just plain evil! He has made a lot of changes in his life when he met you Caroline. I guess I could even say that his in love with you."

"You're probably right." I sighed. "Thanks for the advice Salvatore." He smiled at me. I stood up to tidy myself and headed for the door.

"Hey Barbie!" Damon called me. I spun around and found him walking towards me. I planted a plastic smile on my face and it quickly faded when I noticed his face. His eyes screamed alone and confusion. "You're leaving already?" He slurred.
He was drunk as a post. I automatically assumed that this concerned Stefan's relationship with Elena.
"Oh Damon." I say distressingly. "I know that it hurt to see the love of your life with someone else, let alone your brother but-"

Damon shoved me back slightly and I hit the front door. "This isn't about Elena!" he roared. My eyes widened in shock of his actions. Damon really didn't really say anything after, he just walked away. Elena and i had to talk about this but I didn't have time for it right now.

I drove back to the mansion and opened the door with the key Klaus has given me. I grinned as I made my way into the study where I found Klaus painting a portrait. "Sweetheart, you're back." He welcomed me.

I walked up to him, took his paintbrush and dropped it on the ground before crashing my lips onto his. He returned the kiss moments later his hands caressing my waist and my hands caressing his neck. We kissed for a few minutes before I pulled back breathless.

"What an entrance." He smirked. "But may i ask, what that kiss was for?"

"Just wanted to kiss my future husband." I say.

His eyes lit up and he grinned unconditionally. He then grabbed the ring out from his pocket and slid it up my left finger. I admired the ring before hugging him tightly.

"I love you." I whispered.

"I love you too." He replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I know these past few chapters haven't had any cliffhangers but isn't that a good thing? :-)
Sorry for the slightly short chapter by the way!

Anyways VOTES & COMMENTS are greatly appreciated! xoxoxo