Words

“You have only yourself to blame.”

Thor can think and say the words to her all he wants, but the fact remains that he only blames himself. For once, he should have just heeded her words. Words. Something she’s always easily bested him with. Whether it be the usual snark of banter between them, or the mere topics of the most mundane things.

He should have, at least, gone after her. Should have protected her. Like he always has done. Instead, his usual cloud of arrogance (the one he has tried so hard to destroy after his father had made him mortal and sentenced him to Midgard) fogged his mind. And now, Loki is responsible for the deaths of even more of those he swore to protect. Somehow, Thor feels more responsible than the Mad Titan himself, knows that if he had truly protected his sister, none of this would have happened. Thanos would never had gotten his filthy paws into Loki.

Loki gives a half smile, arches a brow as she turns her face to his. “Do you think the Allfather will finally sentence me to my death?”

The usual sarcasm drips from her voice, but Thor knows better. Knows her better. Sees the pain she thinks she hides so well from him in those lovely green jewels. “Is that what you want, Loki?” He asks bluntly, doesn't have the heart to taunt her. He’s not that damned cruel. However, she glares at him anyway before turning her head front again. They walk the Palace halls in silence for the next few minutes, not comfortable, but not awkward either. As they near the doors to the throne room, Thor’s hand reaches for her shoulder, stopping them both in their tracks. The guards eye them both, but stay silent, and Thor keeps his voice low, stands in front of her to block both their faces from view. “I’m sorry.”

Loki watches his jaw clench, watches the guilty look filling those lovely ocean blue orbs. Though, it’s the genuine sincerity that catches her off guard.

Thor never apologises. To anybody. Rarely to their fa – ODIN!! (Let alone to her, most of all.)

Still, no matter how much she wants to wrap her arms around him (couldn’t even if she tried because of these damn chains), Loki chooses the hate again, chooses the spite (whose spite, she doesn’t actually know.) “I have never asked anything of you, Thor. Just that one thing... and you couldn’t even do that.” She grits her teeth, angry at herself now, because her stupid voice wavers.

“I know.” Thor nods, the shame clear on his face as his head dips with it. “I know I should have believed you...” He raises his eyes to her, narrows them, but his expression holds no real anger anymore. “I don’t even care for the damn throne anymore. I have another family on Midgard. It’s become just as much of a home to me as Asgard has ever been.”

Loki fights back the urge to roll her eyes. Ignores the slight sting his words cause her heart.

He has many homes, it seems, where she has not one.

(Was Asgard never enough of a home to him?)

(Was she never enough of a home to him?)

She hates to admit that he was the only person who she ever felt a true connection with. Mainly because Thor was mostly (up until recently anyway) a pig-headed and very arrogant little shit of a God... maybe that’s where she gets it from, she suddenly thinks, and almost smirks at the irony.

Thor sighs when he receives no words from her. Things he loves most about her. Quick wit. Humorous. Incredibly sarcastic and dry. He lets his hand slip from her shoulder. Stands back beside her as they walk up to the doors, guards pulling them open for the prince and princess.

Their parents are stood at the bottom of the steps leading up to the throne. It’s Frigga who steps forward. With a smile, she then, reaches for her daughter, embraces her tightly by the shoulders. “Oh, Loki.” She whispers, voice only filled with sadness.