Chapter 55 - Parcel

ENJOYING his free time and true to his words, Pavlo settles down with his newly bought books. He has his black coffee on his table, a banana turon for his snack, and his reading glass on. He's far from the Pavlo Oliver that they usually see on TV.

He makes himself comfortable in his favorite spot on his lawn. He has new books from Neil Gaiman, his all-time favorite author. It's actually a good day to start. Lately, he's been fed up with work. He even misses his fur babies since they're under his family's care at the moment.

He's so engulfed with his book that he missed someone parked in front of his house. As much as he enjoys reading and traveling into the fiction world, he also loves the coffee he has prepared. It is a gift from his Mom since Tita Graciella loves experimenting with different types of coffee beans.

His concentration was tensed upon hearing a voice calling him. He looks up, confused. "Huh?"

"Tao po! Delivery po. For Pavlo Nabbe po sana," said a man, nearly shouting at him because of the distance.

"Delivery... huh? I thought bukas pa?" he murmurs to himself.

He stood up, face devoid of emotion as he walked towards the rider. "Is it really for me? May order ako pero bukas pa ang delivery no'n or napaaga? Baka wrong address lang iyan, Sir."

"Opo. Sure na sure po, Sir. Sa iyo pa rin naman ako—ay este, para po talaga sa inyo ito." The delivery rider handed him a very familiar sunflower keychain. It feels like a lightning bolt strike right into his face.

He froze as his heart beat erratically. His throat suddenly ran dry as he stared at the keychain, still hanging in the air from the hand of the said rider. He tries opening his mouth, hoping to say a thing but it feels like his tongue has been cut off.

"Sir? Tititigan mo lang ba iyan?" the delivery rider asked.

He swallowed. He wanted to look up but for some reason, he couldn't. His chest clenched. He's not buying it anymore. He's so done hoping that one day he will come to see him again. Given the fact that the familiar muffled voice behind the helmet speaks to him. Again, he's so done with all the heartaches.

"I—I gave this to someone. Hindi ko alam kung paano ito napunta rito," he said in his very faint raspy voice.

"Exactly! But it's now coming home..." the delivery rider replied casually.

He smiled bitterly as he slowly received his delivery, sighing deeply. "I guess... ibinalik na niya. Salamat pa rin dito. Magka'no?"

Pavlo thought that after three long years, he was okay. Now that this day came unexpectedly, he figured out that he was still wounded. Especially now that Vester is returning the first-ever thing he gave to him.

"Funny. Itinapon niya na lang sana kung ayaw niya na pala rito. Bakit pa ibinalik? Aanhin ko naman ito?" he whispered, uncertain and is asking himself tons of questions.

He heard a shaky sigh. "T-That keychain wanted to come home. Isa pa, hindi naman ikaw ang magbabayad niyan eh. The owner is paying for the casualty—"

"Stop!" he quickly interrupted, eyes were still on the keychain or at least he tried his best to only look at the keychain. For now, it's the safest thing for his eyes.

"Pao... I wanted to come home."

The delivery rider suddenly reveals himself as he takes off his helmet. Now, his voice is clearer but still, Pavlo refused to believe it. All of a sudden, he became weary. He remained grounded in his spot. His eyes are stinging but tearless. However, his heart is not doing well.