Chapter 3 - Gift of Friendship

IT TOOK him a week to confirm Vester Bonn Tejero's friend request but he only settled for that. He never bothers to respond to the other man's messages. He even turned off the notification button just to avoid his phone from bothering him whenever Vester dropped by a message.

One more thing, he doesn't have the nerve to even type something whenever he decides to entertain the other so he ends up sighing and resuming his works. For a week, it became his routine – checking his inbox for Vester's random messages as if he were his human diary.

He finds it funny and adorable at the same time whenever he reads the other man's tell-tales about how his days are going or about the other man's frustrations with the world. Vester never missed a thing. He updates him every day and he finds himself giggling at the hilarious messages from him.

He thinks that Vester is all but bubbly and Keir might be right about him being a good man and as he further back-reads all the messages, he can say that his presence isn't that boring to begin with. Until one day, he decided to entertain him as he finally unmuted Vester's icon.

He didn't even realize that they'd been conversing for three days straight and they even swapped slam book questions towards each other. He hates to admit but he did enjoy his company. In Vester, there are no dull conversations at all. He's all but natural.

"Vester talaga ang name mo? Ang unique naman. Ako kasi, ang dami kong kapareho," he once asked.

"Yup. But you can simply call me Vester. Pwede ring Tey-Tey or if trip mo, call me baby. It's up to you :)"

He can feel the tip of his ear going red just by reading those texts. He was grasping for something to counter but he couldn't find any so he ended up gaping at the messages from the other man. Fortunately, he saw him typing in the command so he waited for it.

"Pero alam mo ba that I was hesitating to text you that time?"

He smiled a little. "Why?"

"Kasi natatakot ako. What if magalit ka sa'kin? Which is nangyari nga. Nagalit ka. You ignored me but it's okay."

"Oh, I'm sorry for that." Somehow, he felt guilty about it but that's how he knew how to react on that particular day. He's just a human after all.

"Naku, Pavs, okay lang. Nag-aalala lang talaga ako if na-offend ba kita sa confession ko. Kasi 'di ba, what if you're not into guys pala tapos ako naman itong si tanga, nag-assume agad so ayon na nga... sorry."

He held his breath. He's good with words but somehow, that confession caught him off-guard. He doesn't know how to respond to it properly so he ends up putting the phone beside him while looking into the ceiling, probably trying to find his wits there.

Then his phone dings, trying to break into his trance. "Tinanggap ko na nga na in-ignore mo ako eh. Sabi ko pa nga, okay, he's not into guys. I've seen it coming na pero ayon, kahit sabihin kong okay lang, masakit pa rin pala. Buong buhay ko, first time kong ibaba ang pride ko for a guy."

"Sorry, Vester."

"Hala! Ano ka ba, Pavs. Okay lang. Parang sira 'to. Baka isipin mo na sinisisi kita. No, nag-k-kwento lang ako. Besides, alam ko namang hindi mo ako huhusgahan kasi bukod sa stranger ako for you, you never mocked me and my rants since the day na kinausap mo ako."

"But still, I'm sorry because I've hurt someone unknowingly." He hoped he sounded sincere to Vester because he did.

"Okay na iyon. Nasaktan ako but the moment you accepted my friend request, lumundag talaga ako sa tuwa. Mukha akong tanga that time. I think, hinusgahan ako no'ng manong na nakasabay kong maghintay sa bus stop kasi ang sama ng tingin niya sa akin. Sumigaw rin kasi ako eh."