Chapter 32

You checked the goods and found some Crystal Marrow and Sango Pearls...

"So, have you found anything?"

"We found a bunch of Crystal Marrow and Sango Pearls."

"Yes, I've found pretty much the same, and there really are a lot."

"Aren't these usually sold at a high price? Oh, wait, these must be the valuable things that went missing from the island...so the Nobushi must've stolen them all."

"Haha...I don't know if I'd go THAT far. The Nobushi would be very hard-pressed to find many opportunities to get their hands on commodities like these."

"Huh? What do you mean? Did the Nobushi gather all this themselves?"

"No, that's unlikely. Crystal Marrow is a rare material for crafting weapons and Sango Pearls are an even more precious commodity. Here's what I think. Due to Watatsumi's poor soil, the island's economy is quite fragile and heavily reliant on the trade of these special resources. So, it's absolutely vital that they keep them under lock and key and well out of the Nobushi's reach. Which means, they got lucky with a huge batch like this...my guess is they ambushed a caravan. If we go ask around at the Sangonomiya Shrine, we can find out if there have been any recent instances of caravans being plundered..."

"We know someone at the shrine. Come with us."

"Perfect, I knew you'd be a huge help."

*At the shrine*

"Y/n! I see you've found the detective."

"Watatsumi Island sure is a beautiful place! I don't think I could ever leave."

"Haha, you can stay as long as you like, granted you don't cause any trouble, that is. Her Excellency has stated that all friendly visitors are welcome."

"We'd like to know whether any merchants or caravans have recently reported incidents of stolen goods."

"Incidents of stolen goods? Not that I'm aware of...Her Excellency has recently launched several measures to boost the economy, including the development of trade routes and establishing our own caravans. Troops have also been deployed to protect them, so it is only reasonable to assume that the current trade routes are already very safe. Any looting or theft would be practically unthinkable."

"That's strange...then where did the Nobushi get those goods from?"

"Huh? You mean you found goods of unknown origin?"

"Yep, and it's all Sango Pearls and Crystal Marrow, so we know it's local!"

"Could there really have been a theft that hasn't been reported? That shouldn't be the case... Well, perhaps you could go ask Todoroki. He's responsible for the caravans and is usually in the village at night preparing the goods. If something has happened, he should know about it."

"Great, thank you for all the info. Y/n, Hua, let's go..."

"Hey, Y/n! It's been a while, I've missed you. Why didn't you inform me that you'd be coming over today?"

"Ah, General Gorou!"

Well, would you look at that...What a coincidence.

"You're dismissed, Shibata. You may go about your other duties while I catch up with Y/n."

"Yes, General Gorou!"

"I overheard you discussing a case of stolen goods, is that right?"

"That's right! We found a lot of Watatsumi's valuable products in a Nobushi camp!"