Chapter 33

You just received a special commission today. Since it's a commission wherein you have to investigate The Chasm, you're gonna do this with the others.

"What the...it's a city?"

"A whole city that's...floating in the air...upside down?!"

"I'm at a loss for words."

"This is not what I was expecting..."

"Just look at this place...Doesn't it remind you of something?"

"Wait, what was it again..."

"The Defiled Statue."

"Yes, that's it! It's just like that. Just as strange, just as upside-down, and just as spooky. In which case...maybe whatever's going on in The Chasm really is connected to the Abyss Order."

"Oh, we gotta get to the bottom of this..."

Someone extremely familiar appears beside you...

"...Oh..."

"..."

"Dainsleif?!"

"I was not expecting that..."

"The feeling is mutual. I certainly hadn't expected to meet you here, either."

"Long time no see, Dain...wait, but how did you suddenly end up here in The Chasm?"

"The Chasm? So, we're in the depths of The Chasm, are we. Interesting...this is one place where I have never set foot before."

"I have a lot of questions for you."

"I understand how you must feel. Last time, we met suddenly and parted hastily. Now our paths cross again...fate, it seems, owes you an explanation."

"First, tell us what you're doing here."

"That much should be self-explanatory. I came upon the trail of another Abyss Herald recently, and began pursuing it. Unfortunately, I got as far as cornering him before he resorted to the same trick that they all do...I was hot on his heels when I followed him through the portal, but as usual, it was to no avail. It took me to the wrong place."

"So you didn't actually catch up with my brother last time?"

"Correct. Based on my recent experiences, I can only conclude that the Abyss's portals are not simply pathways from point A to point B, but gateways to an entire network. Where they emerge on the other side is their choice. It can be anywhere within the network."

"Sounds kinda similar to how Teleport Waypoints work..."

"In short, though I was right behind your twin and friend last time when I entered that portal, the next moment that I realized where I was...I was all alone, back in the ruins known as Stormterror's Lair."

"Oh yeah, about that...whatever happened to the eye of the first Field Tiller?"

"It's in a safe place. You can be sure that I will learn the truth of the "Loom of Fate" operation sooner than it could ever fall into the Abyss Order's hands."

"Why don't you tell us who you really are?"

"Yeah, who is the "Twilight Sword"?"

"Ha. So that title stuck in your memory. I by no means went out of my way to conceal it from you. It once stood for the glory of Khaenri'ah, but now...It is but a cruel joke. My curse to bear. Twilight Sword was my title as captain of the Royal Guards when I witnessed the destruction of my entire homeland firsthand. I believe my reluctance to raise it in conversation is quite justified."