Chapter 34

" ...Are you sure it's not serious? Lumine's been out for a long time now..."

"Yes, you can relax...believe me, Master is extremely knowledgeable. If he says that she's going to be alright, then there's absolutely nothing to worry about."

"...Huh?"

"Oh, are you awake now, Lumine?"

"Oh, thank goodness! Lumine, you're finally awake!"

What happened, exactly?

You entered the land of Sumeru with your buddies and encountered someone.

All of you but Paimon fell unconscious. Hua and Bronya woke up after a while, but not you and Lumine. 

You vaguely remember having a strange dream...and the only thing you heard...

Wait! You might be zoning out...

"...This is Gandharva Ville. It was originally built by scholars from Sumeru as a place to rest in the rainforest. Now it's mainly used by the Forest Rangers as a base of operations. My name is Collei. I'm a Trainee Forest Ranger. My master and I found you passed out during our patrol, so we brought you here."

"Thank you for the help."

"Oh n-no, no thanks are necessary! I didn't do anything, really. By the way, how are you feeling now? Any discomfort?"

"No, I seem to be fine, except...this taste in my mouth...it's so bitter!"

"Oh, that medicine..."

"Yea, haha...that's Master's herbal medicine you're tasting. He gave you some while you were unconscious. Before I forget, Master mentioned you should take more medicine once you wake up."

"And I seriously hate that medicine! It's really bitter!"

"You still haven't took your meds since morning, Kiana. Go and ask Collei for some."

"Ughh, but I can't bear the bitter taste."

"We have some spare water, Y/n!"

"Ah! Sure, no problem! I'll get the medicine!"

Collei went to get something, but then she accidentally dropped it.

"Ah, whoops!"

"Collei, what's the matter? Were you trying to retrieve the medicine? As I've already told you, you must be careful with these...alright, I'll get it for you once I'm finished here."

"Ah, sorry, Master..."

"*sigh* Now, the "Guide to Avidya Forest's Edible Fungi" is clearly posted on our bulletin board. But, if Farbod forgets which mushrooms to avoid one more time, I'll have no choice but to leave the guide somewhere a little more visible...like right smack on his forehead so others can remind him to be careful."

"Right, this is the second time he's come down with food poisoning this month. I'll be sure to give him a good talking-to!"

"Yes, please do. If, on the off-chance, Farbod simply enjoys having little imaginary fairies dance before his eyes, then we'll just let him be. But, the next time he requires any of our medicine, be sure to charge him accordingly."

Someone left the area, and all that's left there with you are you, Lumine, Paimon, Bronya, Hua, Collei and the person who seems to be her master.

"So, how are you doing? Feeling better?"

"Oh, this is my master, Forest Watcher Tighnari. He is chief officer over all the rangers here in Gandharva Ville."

"I already informed everyone else about the reason you fell unconscious earlier, but now that you're awake, let me explain it for you as well. It is common practice for Sumeru scholars of certain Darshans to dedicate themselves to training and meditation in isolated areas, particularly the nearby forests. While meditating, they use a certain incense known as Spirit Borneol to help calm their minds as they enter a state of deep rumination. In hopes of asking directions, you two followed a scholar named Haypasia into her cave. The incense you smelled inside was the Spirit Borneol I just mentioned. That incense typically has no effect on most people. But, for a very select few, it can have profound effects on one's cognition, as you experienced firsthand. Does that make sense?"