Chapter 35

"*sigh* Paimon was thinking all night about what happened with Collei, and still can't figure out what the problem might be."

"Maybe she's in a better mood now...let's go check on her."

Another day already passed. Your group went over to Collei's room and, surprisingly, found Tighnari there.

"Ah, it's you two. I was just about to go look for you."

"Huh? Tighnari, what're you doing here? Where's Collei?"

"I came to check on Collei's condition. To put it simply, she's not well."

"You mean she's sick? How could she be...oh, wait a minute, could it be because of what Paimon did yesterday?"

"No, no need to worry. Something as small as you could never harm her. This sickness is something that Collei has been dealing with for some time. Collei has been more excited than usual since you two arrived. A little too much so, to be honest. She hasn't remembered to take care of herself. *sigh* I suppose it's understandable, though. She hasn't been around anyone she considered a friend for some time now. It must have been refreshing for her to have you two here."

"So, Tighnari, what's really wrong with Collei...?"

"Ahem, let's take this conversation elsewhere. Collei just fell asleep after taking her medicine. She needs some peace and quiet."

*At another spot*

"Alright, let's continue our conversation here, shall we? To be honest, I hadn't realized that you're that Honorary Knight from Mondstadt until Collei told me just now. I've also heard all about your deeds in Liyue and Inazuma. So, just to clarify, what I'm about to tell you about Collei is not because of who you are or your past feats. Instead, I am going to tell you because...well, because Collei asked me to. And honestly speaking, I was against Collei revealing her past to you. But, she insisted, saying you treated her with sincerity and as a friend. So now she wishes to reciprocate the gesture."

"So, Tighnari, what exactly is wrong with Collei? You said this is something she's been dealing with for some time. Just how serious is it?"

"Right, ever since she was a child, she's been afflicted with a disease called Eleazar."

"Eleazar?"

"Yes, it's a disease unique to the lands of Sumeru. It is characterized by dark and hardened scales that form on the body. At first, the afflicted may only feel mild numbness on affected areas of the skin. However, as the disease progresses, one may begin feeling fatigued and even experience peripheral paresthesia. In its final stages, the disease strips a person of the ability to control their own body, and they effectively become completely immobile."

"That sounds terrifying!"

"Y-you mean they'll lose control over their whole body?!"

"So when Collei seemed to be acting a little clumsy earlier, it was because..."

"Correct. That would be the effects of Eleazar, which is precisely why I do not want her carrying or holding anything, lest she ends up hurting herself."

"So is there any cure for Eleazar?"

"With appropriate treatment, the disease can be effectively controlled before it progresses to a more serious stage. However, there is, unfortunately, still no true cure for Eleazar. Nevertheless, Collei's mother still hoped that there was something out there. She handed Collei over to an organization known as the Fatui after one of their members lied and said they had a cure."

"What? The Fatui?!"

"Ah, it appears you are already familiar with them. That'll save me some explanation. Anyway, the person who eventually rescued Collei and brought her to me for care said that she had been given to a Harbinger known as "The Doctor." I have no idea how this "Doctor" managed to do it, but her case of Eleazar was completely stable for all the years that Collei was with them. However, Collei's days with the Fatui were anything but pleasant. Collei is a resilient individual and always tries to appear cheerful, but her experience with the Fatui has left deep scars. Even now, she can still feel deathly afraid of someone touching her."