Chapter 4 - Unhappy That She's Happy

Seeing that Martha was blind, Olivia was certain she didn't know where she was. There was no way she was looking for her son at the Hudson Residence.

"You must be mistaken. I think you're in the wrong place," said Olivia.

"No!" Martha yelled, frantically looking around with a frown like she could see Olivia. "She told me I could find my son right here so I'm waiting for him!"

"Who exactly told you that?" asked Olivia.

"Where's my son?"

"What's your son's name?"

"I... I don't remember but I know he's my son!"

Olivia sighed. "Yes and I understand that but what's his name?"

"Give me my son!"

Olivia soon realized it wouldn't be easy to speak to Martha but she still needed to find a way to understand her so she asked about the person who brought her there but Martha couldn't remember anything about her.

Olivia then asked Martha about how long she had been standing at the gate, which angered Martha and she complained that Olivia wasn't being helpful by constantly asking her questions. Instead, she needed to bring out her son.

It all seemed baseless to Olivia and she once again made it clear to Martha that her son wasn't there, only for Martha to stand by what she was saying.

"Just let me have my son, please?" she begged Olivia.

Despite not coming to an understanding with Martha, Olivia was still patient with her and didn't lash out for going in circles. She then asked Martha where she lived so she could drive her there, but Martha told her that she lived on the streets.

No matter how hard Olivia tried, she couldn't think of a way to help Martha with her situation, which was about the son she strongly believed was in the mansion.

She then asked Martha if she would like a glass of water but Martha only wanted her son.

One last time, she tried to convince Martha that her son didn't live there and it didn't help that she didn't know her son's name, age, or the person who directed her there.

Her words seemed to finally get to Martha but they caused her to break down.
She parted her lips to speak but it took a while and right before she did, tears trickled down her cheeks.

"Are you telling me I can't have my son? I've been waiting for this moment."

Right when Olivia was about to speak in order to comfort Martha and calm her down, Martha held onto her walking stick tightly and started to walk away as she spoke with so much sadness.

"I thought I would meet my son today." Her voice trembled.

Olivia rushed after her, only to be ignored. She held onto her shoulder, but was pushed to the ground by an infuriated Martha.

"Don't touch me! You told me my son isn't here!" she yelled.

She couldn't get up right away because it took her a moment to process the fact that Martha had pushed her when she was only trying to help.

Despite wondering why Martha came to the mansion, she soon shrugged, rose to her feet and fixed her dress. She forgot about her when she reminded herself that she would have her freedom soon and needed to continue with her celebration.

~

When Ms Hudson's party was over and her guests had left, it should have been then that Ethan should have been getting ready for bed, but all he could think about was how the divorce brightened up Olivia's mood.