Chapter 13 - Witnessing Some Tension

The sudden appearance and question led to a long pause, then Ethan held onto Pete's hand to get it off his shoulder as he said, "You startled me."

"I asked you a question. What do you think you're doing?" asked Pete once again as he glanced at Olivia then glared at Ethan. "I've been watching you for a while and noticed you were staring at Olivia."

"So what?"

"Natalie doesn't deserve this. How could you look at Olivia so lustfully and out in the open?"

"You're aware that according to me, Olivia's the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen in my life. It's been a while since I saw her dressed like that so how could I not stare? And about Natalie, I owe her nothing. Stop judging me."

"Now that I think about it, I might have gone too far. I'm sorry," said Pete, doing his best to compose himself as he sat down. "Don't you think that by looking at Olivia the way you did, it could lead to something else?"

"Like what?" Ethan shrugged.

"Who wouldn't want to be with Olivia?" asked Pete, stroking his chin.

"Does that include you?" Ethan inched forward and rested his elbow on the table as he anticipated Pete's response.

"That wasn't the point I was getting at. I know you said you're only staying in touch for the sake of the baby but the eyes I saw today make me feel sorry for Natalie."

As much as Pete tried to draw a mental picture to Ethan of how Natalie could be affected, he seemed not to care and when he couldn't take it any longer, he changed the subject to the reason he had brought Olivia to the restaurant.

As they both spoke about her, they glanced at her a few times, with Pete making it less obvious since he didn't want Ethan to ever find out how he felt about her.

Ethan then mentioned the particular incident with Martha that day and Pete scoffed asking why he even got out of the car to bother her, to which Ethan replied that he had no idea and just felt the need to go there.

When Ethan mentioned his response to Martha, he seemed concerned as to why it happened but Pete brushed it off and thought it wasn't a big deal and he shouldn't bother himself with Martha. Pete said it in a playful way but Ethan took it seriously and nodded as he mentioned to Pete that he would stop thinking about filth.

When Olivia had seen all she could eat, she turned around to approach the table but when she noticed Pete, she narrowed her eyes and wondered why he showed up.

When she was close enough, she stood on the other side of the table with her gaze still on Pete. "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"That's not the way to talk to my best friend," said Ethan.

"I was only asking out of curiosity," she said as she sat down.

"I understood what you meant so don't worry about it," said Pete, keeping his hands where Ethan couldn't see as he rubbed his palms together while getting a closer look at Olivia's beauty.

To pay as little attention to Pete as possible, Olivia focused on Ethan and mentioned that she was ready to order and despite her meal being the most expensive one on the menu, Ethan paid for it with ease.

After the meal, it was time to leave but Olivia was still in her seat.

"What's the matter?" asked Ethan.

She looked up at him then glanced at the counter. "I enjoyed that meal so much that I would like another one that I can take home."

With no hesitation, he took out his wallet as he said, "Whatever you want, just mention it and I'll make it happen."