Chapter 43 - Hope

"Misdiagnosed?" Ethan asked loudly with wide eyes, rising from his seat with hope.

"Yes, such was the case," the doctor said. "Had she continued with the wrong treatment, she would've only gotten worse until..."

"Until I would've lost her." Ethan sat back down, placing his hand over his eyes to hold back his tears

The doctor assured him that with the right treatment, his mother would be in a better state of health.

As Ethan listened to all the doctor had to say, the smile on his face never faded even when he heard that his mother still needed a lot of treatment to get better.

When he returned to everyone else, who had been waiting, he gave them the good news with his arms spread out so he could wrap them around Olivia and lift her.

The news brought tears to Helena, who was glad he had more time with his mother.

After Martha was discharged from the hospital and returned home, she was only in the company of Helena and Angela.

Ethan was in the kitchen with Olivia, who guided him on how to prepare a specific meal. He had taken it upon himself to cook for his mother.

As she gave him instructions, his methods were filled with several mistakes, bringing laughter to both of them.

When the food was almost ready, he stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her cheek a few times.

"It was in this house that we first found out I was pregnant," she said. "And it got in the way of my plans to leave this town and start a new chapter."

"You know what?" He moved his lips closer to her ear to whisper. "I'm glad I got you pregnant."

She chuckled. "You make it sound like you were on a mission."

"Maybe I was. You know, it's crazy how this house has come to mean so much to me."

"I've actually been thinking about that. I clearly remember a time when you looked down on me for living in such a house and now you don't even want to leave."

"It was before I learned the value of the people in the house, not the house itself."

Just then, he made her turn around so they could directly face each other and he gently kissed her, then pulled away with a sigh.

"I know it never leaves your mind," she said. "You'll find someone else."

"I know, but just the fact that it was all because of my mother. I shouldn't even call her that. She doesn't deserve it. What mother would-"

"Hey," Olivia said, "calm down. She's not worth it. Just focus on your mother and our baby."

"You left out one person." He rubbed his nose against hers.

She giggled. "Who's that?"

"You."

Right in the kitchen, their lips met in a passionate kiss but just a few seconds in, his phone rang and as much as he thought of ignoring it, he couldn't. He had already blocked Ms Hudson and was certain it was possibly anyone else but her.

When he looked at the caller ID, it was Mr Jones and his eyes grew wide. When he picked up, Mr Jones apologized to him for what Mr Edwards had done. He had confessed to acting alone under Ms Hudson's instruction and everyone else was unaware of his private visit to the office.

As Mr Jones assured him they still wished to partner with him, he held onto Olivia's hand tightly to contain his excitement.

In a few days, Mr Jones said, they would officially become partners after signing some documents.