Chapter 32 - Broken Bond

When Ms Hudson realized Ethan had been standing there and had heard everything she had just said, her mouth hung open and she brought her fingers to her lips with wide eyes.

"Ethan, wh-"

"Before coming here...." said Ethan, his tone already unsteady. "You know..." He trailed off again, trying to compose himself. "Earlier, I thought to myself that even if we weren't on the best terms, something might have happened to you. I thought you might've had a heart attack or something since it's happened before. I assumed it was another reason I heard nothing from you."

She could hear him almost break down and attempted to explain herself. "Try t-"

"No! You know what? Because I was so worried about you," he said a little louder with anger building up but still held back his tears. "I thought I would come to check on you but when I walked in, all I could hear was your rant about me so I didn't show myself and at the very last moment, of all the things you could've said, blood relation?"

"My son-"

"Don't," he said, looking away from her and shutting his eyes.

"I didn't mean what I just said." Ms Hudson put her hands together but they only trembled along with her voice. "I said it without thinking."

He shook his head a few times as he faced the floor, on the verge of letting his tears trickle down, especially when he told her that. Never did he imagine there would come a day when he would hear her say such a thing. It was already hard to deal with when she had told him she should've left him at the orphanage.

When Mr Philip heard Ethan mention that, he looked over at her with disbelief. He then wondered if that was the cruelty his daughter would've been subjected to whenever they would've had a disagreement, had she become her daughter-in-law.

To calm Ethan down, Ms Hudson got closer but he took a few steps back.

"Stay away from me," he said shakily, then lowered his tone, as if defeated. "It hurts to admit, but I'm glad I heard you make that blood relation comment about my child. Do you know what that means? Since you don't acknowledge my child because there's no blood relation, why would you acknowledge me as your son?"

"My son-"

"Don't call me that. I just need to get a few things and then I'll be on my way," he said, not looking at her for even a second longer.

As soon as he started to make his way upstairs to his bedroom, he moved his wrist along his eyes to get rid of his teary eyes.

Ms Hudson was right behind him, begging for him not to take what she had just said to heart as she didn't mean it.

Once he was in his bedroom, he locked the door and lowered his head to bury his face in his hands, trying to keep himself together. He knew she was someone who would easily turn harsh on others when extremely infuriated, including him, but nothing as extreme as what she had said when he stood up for himself and downstairs.

As she was still on the other side of the door, she banged on it while desperately begging for him to open up so they could talk.

Wanting to leave as soon as possible, he composed himself and reminded himself of what he had come to the bedroom for. He got a small bag then rummaged through his drawers to find his top priority, and when he did, he packed it in the bag. It was the light blue book he had been reading for a while. He also took a couple of documents and was ready to leave.

The whole time, she kept banging on the door as she cried out to him. It was only when he opened the door that she turned silent.

When she looked at his face, she had never seen him so broken and his eyes had turned red from his tears. Guilty, she stretched out her trembling hand as she slowly tried to touch his face when she saw just how hard he would break down.