Chapter 7 - Disgusted

Olivia's question wasn't followed by an immediate response from Ethan, or any a few seconds later. Instead, he still focused on the road with furrowed eyebrows as he seemed to think of what to say but in the end, could only sigh deeply.

His reaction earned him a scoff from Olivia and as she looked away from him to face ahead, she told him that based on what she had seen, she had already made her own conclusion of what he would do if that were to happen with his mother.

For a moment, it seemed as if that was all she would say about it, but when she spoke about it further, he slammed the steering wheel as he asked her not to talk about it at all.

Not wanting to stop, she asked why he didn't want to talk about it when it was all they could talk about at that moment since they would meet his mother in a few minutes. Knowing how obedient of a son he was to her, he was most likely to do whatever she would decide.

"Are you aware that I can drop you off right here?" he asked, annoyed.

"What you said back at my house is the only reason I'm here. If you want, pull over."

She expected a response but when she got none, she chuckled, then looked outside the window to keep herself occupied with looking at all she could see, instead of having to deal with Ethan and dodging an important question.

As she looked outside the window, the scenery was one that was full of green trees on both sides of the road and it was almost empty, with only one other car that drove by them. It wasn't a busy road.

While at it, she spotted a woman covered in filth with a walking stick and soon enough, her eyes became rounder when she remembered her as Martha.

Right then, she looked over at Ethan and asked him to stop the car. When he asked for a reason, she only told him to do as she asked and it would only take a second. As soon as he noticed the restless facial expression she had and how her hand was already on the handle, he pulled over.

As soon as the car stopped moving, she stepped out and hurried back in the opposite direction.

He watched her through the glass of the backseat and wondered what was where they came from.

Not wanting to have Olivia become the reason they would delay, he stepped out of the car as well to go after her.

He could spot her from where he was and noticed that once she stopped moving, she crouched down beside someone but he couldn't see who it was since Olivia's body blocked the view.

Curious as to why Olivia did what she did, which was something he had never seen her do before, he got closer but soon took a few steps back as he placed his fingers on his nostrils with an expression of disgust as he looked at Martha.

Right from where he stood, still with his fingers on his nostrils, he watched as Olivia tried to get Martha's attention by saying her name several times. She introduced herself a few times but Martha only frantically looked around with uncertainty on her face.

He looked down at his watch as he poked his cheek and just when he was about to get Olivia's attention so they could leave, Olivia asked Martha if she remembered the time she came to the mansion to look for her son, which made Ethan tilt his head as he wondered what that was all about since he had no knowledge of it.

When Martha giggled endlessly, as she admitted to Olivia that she didn't remember who exactly she was because she had gone to so many places in search of her son, Ethan's expression of disgust then turned to annoyance.

Apart from being unable to stand Martha's smell wafting its way towards him, he also couldn't stand how despite Martha not being in her right mind, Olivia still made efforts to communicate with her. To him, it was a waste of time, especially with a beggar.