Chapter 27 - The Groom's Decision

As soon as Angela mentioned with great distress that Olivia was dying, Ethan walked off the altar as he paced and it caused even more distinct chatter.

As his heart raced faster, he felt the sweat coming on as Angela couldn't stop crying as she described how awful Olivia's state was. It already  sounded like a matter of life and death for Olivia and his baby and he wasn't going to let anything happen to them.

The moment he ended the call, he paced quicker than before as he fought hard to make a decision but he couldn't think clearly as Natalie was right in front of him, whispering to him to find out what was going on and he should return to the altar.

It was as if he couldn't see or hear her as he panicked about how worse Olivia's condition would get the longer he would take to get to her.

With so many possible horrible outcomes on his mind, he paid attention to none of those who stood before him.

It was only when his mother got closer to him and placed her hand on his shoulder that he looked at her. With rage written all over her face, she asked what was going on. Before he could even respond, even though he was too conflicted to do so, she ordered him to continue with the wedding ceremony.

"I.....I.... Olivia-"

"I don't want to hear it," Ms Hudson whispered to him. "I said get back there, right this instant!"

Natalie had been waiting for her big day with so many expectations and knew the embarrassment she would face if anything was to go wrong. She could already feel it and every time she glanced at the audience, she panicked more. It only got worse when she looked over at her father who shook his head as he approached them.

When Natalie heard Ms Hudson order Ethan to carry on with the ceremony, she let out a stuttered breath of relief as she was certain he would never disobey her.

For a moment, it seemed that it was all under control because as soon as Ms Hudson had intervened, Ethan and Natalie both returned to their standing positions from before and the chatter in the audience slowly faded. Natalie even looked over at her father who was also relieved and took a seat.

Ethan's mind had wandered off and with every passing second, he feared Olivia would only get worse. With a heavy heart, he looked over at his mother who was everything to him.

When they were meant to continue with the wedding ceremony, he could only stare at his mother for a few seconds and didn't care to look at Natalie when she called out his name.

After contemplating what his actions might cause, he now had a clear mind and once again, he got off the altar but this time, took off running as fast as he could.

Ms Hudson was so infuriated that she placed a hand on her chest to control herself in fear of having a heart attack.

Angered by the turn of events, Natalie held onto her wedding dress and was ready to after him with tears trickling down her cheeks. She looked around and everyone was already deep in talks about how the groom had just ran away from his bride. Not wanting to lose him, she took off her heels and went after him.

Her father rushed out as well and clenched his fist at the embarrassment his family had just experienced.

~

Right outside, Ethan was already by the car door, desperately trying to get inside but Natalie just wouldn't let him go as she begged him to stay.

With only Olivia and the baby on his mind, he held onto her hands and pulled them off of him without saying a word to her and opened the door so he could get in but just then, his mother called out to him. When he saw her with Mr Philip right behind her, he waited but the sweat from his forehead was almost dripping down the sides of his face.