Chapter 40 - True Colors

As Ethan continued to look at the picture of the beautiful woman and processed the information that she was Martha, his biological mother, he forced out a chuckle as his heart raced faster.

"No," he said with a shaky voice. "It can't be."

"I know it sounds so sudden but I had no other way of saying it -"

"Now's not the time for such jokes!" he yelled as he got out of bed, a grunt escaping his lips as he pushed the covers aside but continued to hold her phone.

Determined to convince him, she blocked his way and placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Hey," she said softly.

"No."

"Look at her carefully. You see the resemblance, don't you? That's your mother, Martha."

He scoffed, the beads of sweat beginning to form on his forehead. "Martha? The same Martha? Do you even understand what you're saying to me?"

"Yes, b-"

"No," he said, running his hands through his scalp like he had an itch. He then began to pace with loud breathing.

"You need to relax and process t-"

"Are you serious?" He cut her off once again. "How am I supposed to accept something like that? And how could you just suddenly tell me about it?"

"I found out last night and wanted to find the best possible way to say it to you. There was no easy way to say it and this was the best I could do."

"No, I refuse to accept it." He crouched down with both hands on his forehead, smearing the palms of his hands with sweat as he heard his heart pounding in his ears.

"I know it's hard to process, but why are you so quick to dismiss it all? Is it because Martha's lived in the streets and not completely in her right now? Would you have considered it to be true if she lived a different kind of l-"

"It's because of the way I treated her!" He yelled with gritted teeth, rising to his feet. "How do you expect someone like that to be my mother?" he asked, his body trembling as a tear rushed down his cheek.

As soon as she noticed his tear, she got closer and placed her hand on his sweaty chest and offered him words of comfort but he stepped back, barely keeping his head high.

"How am I supposed to face this woman? What proof do you have that she's my biological mother?"

"You still don't believe me?"

"My mind is better off that way."

When Olivia showed him the DNA test results, which were conducted without his knowledge, more tears rushed down his cheeks as he had just confirmed it. He then crouched down and finally broke down completely.

Seeing him completely overwhelmed, she gave him a moment as she rubbed his shoulder and he had his eyes shut the entire time.

"That's not all," she said, enough for him to rise to his feet and wipe his tears.

As he heard her explain how it all started with Helena, he remembered her from the store. He then furrowed his eyebrows when he heard how Helena had first approached Ms Hudson and how things unfolded between the two of them.

When Olivia got to the part of how Ms Hudson showed Helena fake results, it was at that moment that he had heard enough. He frantically began to look for some clothes and she panicked.

"What are you doing?" she asked, but he only focused on getting dressed. "Babe?" He barely pulled down his shirt and rushed out of the room with car keys.