Chapter 36 - Tonight

Natalie walked past Angela as she focused on Olivia, her tone and expression serious. "You and I need to talk."

"If you're here to fight, I suggest you turn around and leave," said Olivia, narrowing her eyes at Natalie.

"That's the last thing on my mind," said Natalie, rolling her eyes as she offered herself a seat and crossed her legs. She then looked behind her at Angela and sighed. "Do you mind?"

"Don't speak to Angela that way," said Olivia.

"It's alright, Ma'am," said Angela. "Just call for help if you need me."

With a scoff, Natalie fixed her eyes on Angela until she was out of sight.

Not yet certain of what Natalie's true intentions were, Olivia crossed her arms with an inquisitive gaze after she sat down. "Ethan's not here."

"He's not the reason I'm here. I came to talk to you ... about him and what happened."

"Look, just so you don't misunderstand, I didn't know you were in the middle of your wedding ceremony, neither did Angela."

"I know."

"You do?" asked Olivia, Natalie's calm demeanor not what she expected.

Natalie admitted that she initially blamed Olivia but her father opened her eyes to the truth. Thanks to having him by her side, she had a lot to think about. She should've given up a long time ago but couldn't since she desired the perfect life with Ethan so she held onto him.

Not yet fully convinced that Natalie was in her right mind, Olivia asked if she had something to drink on her way to the apartment. She had once witnessed just how crazy Natalie could be when infuriated and seeing her so calm just didn't feel right.

Natalie chuckled softly as she assured Olivia that she was in her right mind.

About to express her next words deep from her heart, she intertwined her fingers to compose herself.

"As Ethan and I stood at that altar, I thought that was it and I would finally have him all to myself despite all I had witnessed between you two. I remember that day when he couldn't take his eyes off of you at the restaurant. It really infuriated me but afterwards, I was certain it would all be alright because I would still become his wife. It was almost the case until that phone rang. When he left me there, I knew where his heart was. It was with you."

"Natalie-"

"I'm not finished," Natalie chuckled forcefully. "I guess I just couldn't stand the humiliation so I hoped everything would work out even after he left me at the altar, only for him to make it clear to me that he would never marry me. I was aware that I had lost but I still hoped to change his mind. I should have given up much earlier."

"You'll have to forgive me but part of me still finds it hard to believe that you just suddenly accepted what happened."

"It wasn't sudden. I had time to think. I have no place in his heart, you do and I can't compete with that no matter how hard I try. That's why I've walked away."

"Does Ethan know you're here?" asked Olivia.

"No, but I knew he wasn't here."

"How did y-"

"Pete told me."

"Oh...Pete.."

Since Natalie had gotten that off her chest, she sighed with relief. "I'm glad I told you all this face-to-face before I left the country. I need to get away from this place."

"It was the last thing I expected from you."

"So...are you two back together?" Natalie asked, slightly raising her eyebrows.