Chapter 34 - Confessions

Ethan was at a store where he wished to buy some chocolates he had heard Olivia mention during a conversation she had with Angela. He wished to surprise her with them and had already imagined her reaction.

When he was out of the store and was about to open the car door, he heard a woman's voice from behind who called out his name and when he looked back, he furrowed his eyebrows because he was certain he had seen the woman before.

"Do I know you?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm Helena and we met when I once came to see your mother."

He clenched his fist the moment he heard Helena refer to Ms Hudson as his mother. "How do you know her?" he asked.

"It doesn't matter," she said.

"It's none of my business but those puffy eyes look s-"

"Are you about to insult me?" asked Helena. "Ms Hudson did such a horrible job bringing you up. You're one arrogant young man. I remember how rude you were to me. Was it because I wasn't in the same class as you?"

"I was rude to you?"

She scoffed. "You don't even remember because it came naturally to you."

"What did I say?"

"Something about you feels different." She narrowed her eyes with wonder. "Where's that arrogant young man? I don't see him anymore."

"Well.."

Right before she could speak, since he seemed to be at a loss for words, she received an incoming call from Angela and she couldn't miss it. She had called her earlier but she didn't pick up. Having her call back was so important that she stepped away from Ethan, leaving him puzzled.

Not even bothering to spend another second there, he got in his car and drove off so he could give Olivia her surprise.

~

As Angela returned to Olivia, there was a change in her mood. She had been cheerful before she had left to answer the phone call which had taken a while but she now seemed to be completely in a state of shock.

"Did you receive some bad news?" asked Olivia.

"Not at all," said Angela, trying to compose herself.

"Then what's wrong with your eyes?"

"It's probably the onions."

"What onions?"

"It's just...just.. can I please go out?" asked Angela, her tone filled with desperation.

It came as a surprise to Olivia that Angela needed to go out, as she had never asked her for such a thing before.

Even if she couldn't talk about it, Angela assured Olivia that it was extremely important for her to attend to an urgent matter. To ensure that Olivia would agree to it, she promised to leave only after Ethan would return. She also promised not to take too long.

Olivia knew Angela as a usually joyful and loud woman so when she saw how she seemed in shock and panicking, she knew how important it was for her to leave so she allowed it.

"Thank you!" said Angela, slowly rocking back and forth to calm herself but just couldn't. Unable to take it anymore, she excused herself and calmly went upstairs.

The moment she got to Ethan's bedroom door she took his toothbrush and hid it in her pocket.

When she returned downstairs, she seemed more relaxed but her eyes still gave it away that she was troubled.

When Olivia asked what it was all about again, Angela assured her she would speak about it at the right time.

When Ethan returned, Olivia noticed the small bag he had with him but before she could even ask, Angela looked at her, begging to leave right away.