Chapter 8 - Reactions

From the moment Ethan broke the news of the pregnancy, his anticipation took over, causing him not to blink for a while. Since he didn't care about Natalie's reaction, he fixed his gaze on his mother and her expression was that of great disapproval.

Unlike Ethan, Olivia was still relaxed with her natural resting face and it was because it didn't matter to her what Ms Hudson's reaction would be. Instead, she focused on Natalie, who gaped at her with her head tilted.

It had been so long of a wait that Ethan got up from his seat, sat with his mother and held her hands as he begged her to say something since he had just announced that he was having a baby with Olivia and couldn't take the suspense any longer.

With a heavy grunt, Ms Hudson pulled her hands away from Ethan and her loud and heavy breathing was all everyone present could hear. When she heard Ethan's voice, as he attempted to speak to her again, without looking at him but directly at Olivia, she held out the palm of her hand in front of his face as a sign for him not to speak.

"Always good for nothing!" she yelled, her sharp gaze still on Olivia. "What will it take to get rid of you? Is this your new plan to get back into my son's life?"

In a calm tone, Olivia reminded Ms Hudson of the countless times she had mentioned how she wanted nothing to do with any of them. She then admitted that she shouldn't have gotten pregnant because it stood in the way of her new life, but it already happened.

"The nerve you have to .....to....ugh!" Ms Hudson grunted with her hands still clenched into fists and got up but stood in place. Her frustration led her to speak no further and her heavy breathing intensified. She heard Ethan ask if she was alright as he stood next to her, but paid no attention to him and only glared at Olivia.

Suddenly, Natalie, who had been awfully silent, rose to her feet, placed a hand on her hip and raised the corner of her mouth and spoke with confidence as she looked around.

"So what if Olivia's pregnant?" she asked.

Her question grabbed everyone's attention and they looked at her as she walked towards Ethan, wrapped her hand around his arm and rested her head on his shoulder with a smile.

"Olivia's pregnant and we can't change that but so what?" She gently rubbed her hand along his arm as she looked up at his face but he didn't look back at her. Even with that, it didn't take away her confidence. "We have a wedding to prepare for and this news won't disrupt that in any way."

"Oh," said Olivia in a low tone as she looked over at Ethan. "I didn't know the wedding preparations were underway."

Natalie looked back and forth between the two of them and just when it seemed that Ethan would respond to Olivia, Natalie spoke first. "I thought Ethan told you about it. Anyway, you're welcome to the wedding."

Olivia declined the invitation with an unsteady smile and tone and when Ethan noticed, his gaze softened for a second.

Since the pregnancy announcement was out of the way, Olivia was about to leave but just when she started walking out, Ethan's eyes widened as he stared at her and without giving it a second thought, he pushed Natalie's hand off of him and rushed to Olivia.

"Wait, where do you think you're going?" he asked.

"I have no business being here right now," replied Olivia.

"Why would you just leave like this?"

"What else is there to do when I'm done here? The wedding you need to prepare for requires your attention."

He sighed. "Olivia..."

Not interested in whatever he had to say to her, she repeated that she was leaving and had no desire to spend another second in that house.