Chapter 22 - My Son

When Natalie saw and heard the heart rate monitor, her instinct was to rush out and call for help but Ms Hudson held onto her hand to stop her and assured her everything was alright.

Natalie insisted on calling for someone since it was so sudden for the heart rate monitor to increase but she trailed off when she remembered that it all happened when Ms Hudson said Martha's name with wide eyes.

"Why did you react that way?" asked Natalie.

"Forget it. It's nothing," said Ms Hudson, constantly blinking as she breathed deeply.

"But when I s-"

"Will you just shut up?"

Natalie pursed her lips at how harsh Ms Hudson's words were and she cleared her throat to not feel awkward but couldn't stop thinking about Ms Hudson's unexpected reaction.

Ms Hudson took a few more deep breaths to keep her composure as she thought about all Natalie had just said. She had a feeling that whatever had happened at the gate was for a reason. She even thought that even if it wasn't yet confirmed, that wasn't the time to push Ethan away but to bring him closer or she would lose him forever.

~

Meanwhile, outside Ms Hudson's room, Ethan stood in front of Mr Phillip, who crossed his arms and stared at Ethan with a blank expression.

"What do you want to talk about?" asked Ethan but barely paid attention. He could only think about how his mother threw him out of the room with her harsh words.

"Last time I mentioned this to your mother," said Mr Phillip. "My daughter had complained to me about the way you treated her and I thought your mother had spoken to you about it."

"What's your point?"

"I've seen the way you treat my daughter. It could be because you're under stress or maybe not. I don't approve of the way you treat her. She's going to be your wife for crying out loud. You should treat her better than you treat anyone else."

Ethan scoffed.

Mr Phillip sighed. "I'm being serious here."

"So am I. The only one I care about right now is my mother. We'll talk about this later."

"I've come to discover that you're such a rude young man."

Despite Mr Phillip's disappointment in him, Ethan reminded him that his only priority at that moment was his mother.

Mr Phillip then spoke with mockery when he mentioned that Ms Hudson wanted nothing to do with her own son, not after what he did to her.

"How could you defend your ex-wife so much that you got into a fight? Would I be wrong to make assumptions?"

"Do whatever you want. I'm going back inside."

"She already said she doesn't want to see you."

"It doesn't matter. She's my mother and we're family."

"I'll also soon be your family."

"And?"

Mr Phillip chuckled with disbelief at the disrespect and had no words . He could only watch as Ethan returned to Ms Hudson's room.

Unable to spend another second there after being disrespected, he walked out of the hospital and didn't bother to tell anyone about it.

~

When Ethan opened the door and took a step into the room, he kept his eyes on his mother and didn't bother with Natalie.

Ms Hudson glared at him but said nothing and her heart rate was now under control, which made him believe his presence wouldn't upset her that much again.