Chapter 19 - Uncontrollable Rage

"Just be honest. It's because I'm pregnant, right?" asked Olivia.

"I can't believe you just asked me that," said Ethan, his face showing disappointment.

"You can't blame me for asking. You know what? You don't have to answer because I already know the truth." She crossed her arms and faced the other side, feeling stupid for only figuring out at that moment the reason he took her side.

"Olivia....."

"You don't have to say anything. It's okay. I understand."

"No, you don't. I didn't take your side because you're pregnant."

She scoffed and glanced at the ceiling. "Right!"

"I mean it."

When she heard the sincerity in his tone, she turned around to face him again and reminded him of all the humiliation she faced and not once did he ever defend her.

He admitted to it, but assured her that he defended her from the cheating accusations because he knew her character. He then took a few steps forward and looked right into her eyes and spoke gently. "It has nothing to do with the baby, alright?"

Her gaze softened and she slowly nodded. It was at that moment they should have carried on with the conversation, but they couldn't take their eyes off of each other.

She then gently chuckled and uncrossed her arms to seem more calm, making him chuckle as well.

"How's the baby?" he asked.

"How convenient of you to ask me that right after saying you didn't take my side because of the baby."

He sighed. "Just tell me."

"The baby's alright."

"That's my baby. It could never be Pete's," he said, his positive demeanor changing the moment he mentioned Pete.

"When will you talk to him? I don't want him here again."

He had plans of going home to his mother but once he heard the desperation in Olivia's tone as she spoke about Pete, he had a change of plans. He looked down at the pictures again and clenched his jaw as he said in a harsh tone, that he would immediately go to him.

When she asked what exactly he would do or how he would handle the situation, he only chuckled as he glanced at the pictures.

He then phoned Pete to ask if he was home and when he confirmed it, he told him not to leave the house since he would arrive shortly. He said it in such a calm manner that Pete was unable to sense he was in trouble. Instead, he assumed Ethan wanted to have more drinks together despite doing that a few hours earlier so he told him to hurry and have fun with the girls who had just arrived for a small party.

After the call, Ethan shoved his phone in his pocket, then told Olivia he would use a cab since it was the fastest way to get to Pete.

His tone was so threatening that she sighed deeply to calm her nerves. She was unaware, just how threatening he meant to be.

He then collected all the pictures into the envelope, headed outside and hailed a cab.

When he was in the backseat, he took off his jacket and loosened the cufflinks of his white shirt.

As he thought about how he would deal with Pete, he noticed Martha sitting in front of a trash can and all curled up and shaky from the cold but unlike last time, he didn't look back at her because all his focus was on Pete.

~

Over at Pete's house, three girls had been drinking and dancing to some party music.

Pete was upstairs, leaving the girls alone and they watched each other dance. Among them was Beth, who happened to know one of the girls Pete had invited and as someone who always enjoyed being at parties thrown by the upper class, it was the perfect place for her to take advantage of the expensive free alcohol.