Chapter 29 - Standing Up To Her

With narrowed eyes, Ms Hudson slowly turned around as she tilted her head. "What did you just say?"

How are you.

"I'm not leaving," he repeated firmly.

Unable to believe what she had just heard, her forehead creased as she got closer to him. "Did you just say no to me?"

"I don't want to leave and I won't."

"How dare you disobey me again?"

"I'm j-"

"Shut up!" she yelled as she slapped him across the face.

In a low tone, he expressed his shock as he touched his cheek. "You slapped me."

"And I'll do it again if that's what it'll take to set you straight! I've already forgiven you a few times on occasions where you disrespected or disobeyed me but that's it. If I walk out that door and you don't follow me soon enough, you'll regret it."

"No." He couldn't hide the pain in his response. "You know what? I'm tired."

"What?"

He sighed as he faced the floor then back at her. "I just thought to myself that if I continue to allow this, it'll never come to an end."

"What are you talking about?"

"The control," he said. "I'm tired of always doing my best to live my life according to your own wishes. I'm tired of always putting you first before my own interests, every time and it's because I always feel like I'm indebted to you."

She placed a hand on her forehead, then gritted her teeth as she pointed at him. "Do you realize just how ungrateful you sound right now?"

"I don't mean to sound ungrateful. Can't you see that you basically dictate my whole life? I don't want that anymore. As of this moment, I'll do exactly as I please."

With one hand on her chest and the other pointing at him, she spoke with strain in her voice. "I raised you and I'm solely responsible for who you are today and this is what I get?"

"Mom, I love you and I'm deeply grateful but that doesn't mean I can't make my own decisions in my own life. I've always  strived to make you happy by doing everything you asked of me but not anymore."

It took a while for her to respond and right before she did, she chuckled as a tear trickled down her cheek. "I see she already got to you. Are you already embracing her?"

"What?"

"It seems you don't need me anymore now that you found her."

"What are you talking about?"

"Is that why you're telling me all this?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, but no, this is how I genuinely feel. I've allowed you to have total control of my life for as long as I can remember but it needs to stop. I'm making it stop."

Ms Hudson realized that it might not have had anything to do with Helena and Martha but that changed nothing.

"Fine, stay here and make your own choices," she said. "I've only ever looked out for you but you know what? Do what you want since it's your life. No matter what you do, never step foot in my house ever again."

"You have it a-"

"Had I known such a day would arrive, a day where you would show how ungrateful you are for all I've done for you, I would've left you at that orphanage!"

Her words were so harsh that he parted his lips to speak but nothing came out. It only hurt more as he thought about what she meant.

As soon as she uttered those harsh words, she took a deep breath, wiped her tears and turned around to leave as fast as she could.