Chapter 23 - Best Friends

Helena had made attempts to remind Martha of how close they once were but Martha could only mumble about her son so she gave up trying, just like all the other times.

She brought Martha to where she had been staying since she had returned. It was part of a building which would soon be demolished.

At no point did the odor and filth on Martha get in the way of Helena standing close to her as she guided her.

Martha still mumbled about her son, which had Helena in tears as she pressed her lips together to muffle her cries.

Helena first fed Martha, who constantly demanded for more as she had only had something to eat a few days ago.

She then began to take off Martha's clothes and more tears trickled down her cheeks at the state in which her childhood best friend had lived. It took a while to take off the clothes as each worn out layer had another layer underneath and so on but they were altogether extremely worn out.

Martha couldn't understand what was going on so she wrapped her arms around herself and shook her head as she told Helena to stay away in a hysterical manner

Once again, Helena muffled her cries at how Martha was so out of her mind. It reminded her of a time when they were young and she was far from that mental state.

She then held onto Martha's shoulders and assured her that everything was alright and she would take care of her. She only wanted to give her a bath. It took a while but once Martha calmed down, Helena took off the rest of her clothes.

Once no piece of clothing was on Martha, Helena covered her mouth at the awful state Martha's skin was in when she could see every part of it. It had several black spots and was dry and flaky from the years she spent on the streets. She was so skinny that the outline of her ribs was visible.

Martha wrapped her arms around herself and complained about the cold and quickly, Helena got her in the bathtub with some hot water.

The joy on Martha's face at the feeling of the warm water made Helena chuckle.

As Martha relaxed in the water, Helena washed her hair first and it took a while since it was all matted together.

"Hey Martha..."

"Yes?"

"It'll take a while to run my hands through your hair but you know what? It's the least type of punishment I deserve for what happened back then."

"What happened?"

"You still don't remember?"

"I just want my son."

"Do you still not remember me at all?"

"My son....will I ever find him?"

"You already did."

Helena's guilt ran so deep that she had left Martha at the gate of Ethan's residence twice but it never resulted in anything. This time, she decided to do things differently and face her past herself.

After so much struggle, Helena gave up on the hair and instead washed Martha's face which had dark patches of dirt. As they were washed away, Helena smiled at the beautiful but skinny face in front of her. Martha's skin still wasn't in the best condition due to staying on the streets, but Helena could still see the difference.

"You might be in a skinny state right now but he looks just like you."

"Who?"

"Your son."

"My son? Where is he?"

"You'll see him soon."

As Martha was cleaned up, she constantly asked about her son and the joy on her face made Helena wipe her tears. She was determined to reunite them.