Chapter 46 - Loss

As Helena was trapped against the wall, lifeless with her head dropped to the side, gasps and screams of horror echoed along the street, Olivia and Angela looking on while frozen in place.

Martha could only wonder what had just happened as she held onto Olivia.

It was only when the car began to reverse and Helena's body dropped to the ground that they snapped out of it.

Ethan, who was still in his driver's seat, was about to get out and rush to Helena, but that was until he noticed the driver in the other car.

Ms Hudson, who had her head wrapped in a scarf and black shades, reversed the car as fast as she could and poked her head out of the window to look down at Helena's body with a frustrated grunt as she yelled, "Fool! That wasn't meant for you!"

As Ethan's breathing became rapid, upon Ms Hudson making it obvious that it was her, his grip tightened on the steering wheel as he shook his head, driving after her as fast as he could.

After he drove past Helena's lifeless body and the others, he glanced at his rearview mirror and Angela was on the phone.

When he paid attention to Ms Hudson's car once again, she drove faster and so did he.

He was after her for a few minutes along a road with buildings on both sides.

Right near a curve was a tall building and as Ms Hudson drove past it at full speed so she could get onto the main road, a speeding large truck that only came into view when it was too late, slammed into her car and sent it rolling over several times.

"No!" Ethan shouted with wide eyes as he stopped his car.

For a few minutes, he sat still in his seat and slowly let go of the steering wheel as tears continued to rush down his cheeks, his heavy breathing not slowing down.

Then, he stepped out and rushed to the scene a few blocks away as he wiped his tears.

With the crowd getting bigger, he pushed through until he got to the front.

"Out of the way!" he yelled, panting with red eyes. "She's my- ... I know her!"

As he was told that help was already on the way, he paid no attention as his gaze was stuck on the state of the car. Its body was heavily deformed and crushed, especially the front, leaving Ms Hudson completely trapped.

As he got even closer, he covered his mouth at the sight of Ms Hudson's face, several shattered pieces of glass in her flesh.

When her head slightly moved, his eyes widened. "She's still alive!" he said.

Just as he was about to say it a second time, he stopped himself as he remembered what she had just done to Helena.

As his heart cried for Helena, and who the hit was actually meant for, he stepped back through the crowd, slowly walking back to his car.

Before he could get back in, he crouched down and buried his face in his hands as he burst into tears for a few seconds, conflicted.

It was only when he received a call from Olivia that he wiped his tears. She informed him that they were on their way to the hospital.

Not to make his distress obvious, he cleared his throat as he told her he would be there soon and when she asked what had happened, he only told her she would find out when he would get to the hospital.

Before the call could end, he suggested that she shouldn't be there as she was pregnant and he didn't want her in any kind of stress, but she didn't want to be anywhere else as everyone was worried about Helena.