Chapter 9 - A Mess

The cab was almost arriving at Olivia's house and from the moment she was picked up, her gaze never left the window. She had hoped to spot Martha right where she had left her before, when Ethan had yelled at her.

When the cab had driven by the spot and it was empty, she had looked away with a heavy sigh and shook her head, as if to give up on Martha and not worry about her wellbeing any longer than she had already done. She had even whispered to herself that she might have cared too much about a woman she didn't know and it needed to come to an end.

As the decision to give up on Martha had been running through her mind, Ethan called her and they had an argument on how she needed to listen to him now that she was carrying his child. With no regard for the driver in the front seat, she yelled at Ethan through the phone whenever she felt the need, reminding him that she wasn't his property.

It was only when she thought Ethan abruptly ended the call that she sighed deeply, then looked in the rear view mirror and locked eyes with the driver, but he quickly looked away and cleared his throat. She noticed that he pressed his lips together as if not to say anything to her. After seeing his reaction, she apologized for being too loud and it would never happen again. She assured him that she wasn't that kind of person and lost her temper because of the situation.

As she said that to him, she stopped mid-sentence and realized she was upsetting herself by thinking about why she lost her temper in the first place. She placed her hand on her stomach and sighed, whispering to herself to take it easy for the innocent baby.

When the cab pulled over in front of Olivia's house, she saw someone standing by the door while facing it and couldn't tell who it was because of the hoodie and baggy pants they had on.

"Excuse me, can I help you with something?" asked Olivia as she approached her doorstep.

As soon as the person turned around, her eyes grew wide with excitement. "Beth!"

Beth playfully screamed Olivia's name to match the reaction, then spread out her arms while rapidly stomping her feet and they embraced each other. The two of them had attended the same schools and hadn't seen each other or stayed in touch for a year.

"Doesn't my hoodie smell great?" asked Beth as she ran her hands down her hoodie. "It's brand new!"

"That must be the reason you felt the need to wear it," said Olivia. "Just imagining myself in it makes me feel hot to the point where I could sweat."

"Hey...it's not that bad because winter's here."

"Yes, but it's not yet so cold that you need to wear a hoodie, hmm?"

"I guess you're right and to be honest, I'm hot! Did you catch the double meaning there? Hmm?" asked Beth as she poked Olivia.

Olivia invited Beth inside and before she could even sit down, she mentioned to Olivia that she was aware of all that had happened within the past few months and it took her so long to show up because she had a lot to deal with. She then offered her condolences regarding Mr Parker.

Olivia had been alone for so long and had no one to talk to that having Beth around, someone she considered a friend even if they hadn't stayed in touch, led her to speak to her about all that she felt, including Pete's love confessions and how she never told anyone about it.

To Olivia, there was no harm in opening up to Beth and she couldn't keep it all inside anymore. She felt comfortable enough to explain to Beth all that she could because she was attentive and supportive as their conversation unfolded.

She could still stand on her own, but having someone filled the lonely gap.

After spending a few hours together, Beth was ready to leave so she got in a cab and as it drove away, she brightly smiled at Olivia as she waved at her.