A Hundred Year's Difference

"Why do I have to ask? You know him too." Samoa groaned, holding the phone in her hand and sighing.

"Because I won the coin flip." Tonga rolled her eyes. "Stop being a baby and just call him already. What's the worst he's gonna do, say no again? Not that scary. "

"Maybe he's not gonna- Hi Zee." Samoa said, shooting an angry look at Tonga, who made a 'go on' motion.

"Hey Moa, what's up?" New Zealand asked, seemingly happy she called him.

"I wanted to ask..." Samoa took a deep breath. "I wanted to ask if you wanted to hang out... with the Polynesians. Since you're technically one of us, we figured you might."

"I'm not Polynesian like how you are, Samoa. I've told you this before. Besides, Grandfather said he had something important to talk about to me and the others."

"You could have just said you didn't want to go instead of making some dumbass excuse." Samoa sighed. "And because I will be tormented by everyone else if I don't ask. Are you sure? Tonga and I-"

"I said no thank you, Moa. You can go have fun with your tiny island club, but I'm not part of that."

"Well, this Tiny Island Club doesn't need you. Forget it. See if I care." Samoa said, anger creeping in her voice. "Why can't you just grow up?"

"Love you too." He said.

She slammed the phone down, her knuckles white from gripping it so hard.

"So I take that as a no." Tonga said, sighing. "I thought you two had a treaty of friendship or something. Zee's nice enough, I don't know why you get so irritated with him."

"He is my friend. He just thinks he's too good for us, and that's fine. His family isn't ours, Tonga. We're just a bunch of insignificant islands to him."

"Dramatic much?"

"I am so done with trying to be nice to him! He can't even look me in the eyes anymore." Samoa threw her hands in the air. "He seems to forget what the fuck we went through together, how many times I still try!"

"That's a lot of resentment." Tonga said. "Wanna... talk about it?"

"It's nothing you don't already know. Same old Zee."

"One day. We'll keep inviting him in case he does show up one day." Tonga smiled.

"That day'll be a miracle." Samoa groaned, "He's gotten better at hiding it, but he truly believes he's nothing like any of us.

"Either way, the French Fry was able to attend this time, so that's a good thing!" Tonga grinned. "She usually passes on this type of thing, you know, because of her whole thing with her mom?"

"You go ahead. I'm... I'm going to stay here for a bit, and calm down."

"Hey. No fighting anyone except me, Kiʻimoa." Tonga said, and Samoa rolled her eyes.

"Same for you."

When Tonga left, Samoa stood up, closing her door behind her. She then immediately dug through her drawers, until she located the box she had hidden in the very bottom. She opened the box, pulling out the photo album with care.

These were delicate photos.

It was her and him, not too long after the first World War. She had actually been somewhat sick that day, but she refused to let the photo be ruined, and had sucked it up.

Back then was one of the few times New Zealand had genuine kindness towards her.

Samoa put her head in her hands, sighing. "Le Atua i luga, o le a le mea o le a ou faia i lenei tama?" (God above, what will I do with that boy?"