ʻOlelo Only, Please [Kālahui and Niʻihau]

A/N: Set right after "Sound And Fury." Bold is for English, everything else is in Hawaiian.

"Io, I am going to kill my baby sister." Niʻihau said cheerily, barely acknowledging Io's sister, Kalae.

"No hello?"

"Hello Kalae. Hello Io. I am going to kill my baby sister."

"You said that the last time you came back from talking to her." Io hummed from the sewing machine, shaking her head. "What did she do this time?"

"Everything."

"Here we go." Kalae said, standing up. "I need to run some errands, so Io, you get to deal with Leupena's 'Rants About His Sister: Number'..."

"Forty two as of this year. I'm so lucky." Io deadpanned. "What happened? I thought you and your niece were bonding. It was so cute to see her follow you around, just like a little duck."

"She's just a little excited to be here." Niʻihau said, but irritatedly threw

"Kālahui is constantly talking about her like she's some goddess, like she's some sort of all powerful being. It's not healthy, at all!"

"So how you say Hawaiʻi used to speak of your father."

"Exactly! You see why that's not alright, right?"

Io shrugged. "I'd talk to Hawaiʻi about it. She might not even know what her daughter sees her as. Or, it could just be a normal part of her life. Where is Kālahui, by the way?"

"In the bedroom. She doesn't want to talk to anyone right now." Niʻihau sighed. "Maybe this was a stupid idea."

"This isn't stupid. What was stupid was going up to Mrs. Robinson and saying 'Hey, I brought my niece, so that's the weird little country-kid that's following me around' and expecting her not to freak out."

"I thought she'd be easier to talk to than her husband. But she decided to lecture me on the importance of talking to her before I bring my family members to the islands."

"Did you give her the doll you begged me to teach you how to make?" Io said, sighing when Niʻihau shook his head. "I told you, it's fine. She'll love it."

"It looks like something chewed it up and threw up on it."

"Join a theatre troupe already, drama king." Io folded her arms. "Now, go and talk to her, tell her there's food waiting for her. You have all the things to cook and sew and things, and yet you can't do any of those?"

"I can sew! I sew my clothes when it tears!"

"I stand corrected." Io said teasingly, before pushing Niʻihau a little. "Now, go get her,"

"Fine, fine." Niʻihau said. "I ask for help once and you want to mother me."

Quite a few people in Niʻihau's life had used that bedroom. Mostly young children that drifted in and out, the twins who were children of those sent to Kalaupapa, people who visited late and stayed the night instead of returning home. It was a bedroom of stories, and Kālahui was nowhere to be found.

Except for a blue foot sticking slightly out from underneath the bed.

English would be what she'd want to speak in, right?

Niʻihau saw the bed, neatly made, and sat upon it, sighing. "Oh well, I suppose Kālahui's lost. She will never get to see the wonderful food that Aunty Io brought over, all because everyone knows her uncle's so rubbish at cooking."

"I don't want any food." Kālahui called out from under the bed, her voice irritated. "Leave me alone."

"Alright, not food motivated, that's a new one. I thought that'd work." Niʻihau shrugged. "So... Kid, are you alright?"