A Token Of Peas

A/N: I AM SO SORRY FOLKS. I WOKE UP TO SEE THAT THIS WAS IN THE WRONG BOOK LOL. THIS TAKES PLACE CIRCA 2011, NOT 1965.

This oneshot somehow turned into a full-fledged chapter, so have this 2297 word chapter of Hawaii's youngest and her former youngest's reaction. 

Kālahui stared at the almost 6-year-old looking child in front of her and frowned. Well... this one was a week old in reality. Countries were hard like that. They had taken a long while on Maui trying to get things set up with Aloha's people, but now it was time for the newest member of the Hawaii family to meet her siblings. And eventually, her uncles and aunts.

So what was the first thing Kālahui said to welcome this new addition to her life?

"Your flag looks weird."

"I look just like Mama, and I like my flag. So I don't care what you think." Aloha answered back, her voice getting slightly higher pitched as she folded her arms.

"Aloha, this is Kālahui. Kālahui Hawaii, this is..." Hawaii said.

"I know who it is, Mama." Kālahui said, her face scrunching in irritation. "The Principality of Aloha, from the northeast coast of Maui. She was created by some sketchy ass folks, and she doesn't belong here."

Aloha frowned at that, confused why her sister didn't seem to like her.

"Language." Hawaii said. "And it would do you good to stop being so grouchy. She's your sister, and she's like you, Pualani."

"I asked you to stop calling me that, Mama. And she's not like me. She's-" Kālahui was cut off by her new sister clearing her throat.

"Would you like to be my friend?" Aloha asked, smiling widely. "I want to become friends with everybody, so that everyone's super nice to me. I should probably start with my big sister!"

"Making friends isn't what we do." Kālahui said. "Alliances, not friends."

"Kālahui." Hawaii said sharply, but Aloha didn't seem to notice.

"Friends sounds nicer. It's sad you don't have friends." Aloha said, which made Kālahui feel her face start to turn a bright reddish tint.

"I have friends!" Kālahui said. "I don't need your friendship!"

"Alright, enough." Hawaii stepped in between the two, and forced a smile at Kālahui, "How about you meet your other siblings, okay?"

Aloha looked more than a little hurt by the rejection, as evidenced by her quivering lower lip. She then took a deep breath, nodding. "Sure, Mama."

The rest of the siblings were waiting in the living room. Kālahui had only met Aloha first because she had been waiting by the front door for nearly an hour, waiting for her mother to show up.

The idea of the Principality of Aloha had come to her attention long ago, but it wasn't taken seriously until a report of an actual child came about. It was fake, her mother had assured her. There simply was no way.

That was a lie.

"Aloha, this is Solomon."

"Hi, Solomon." Aloha said, grinning. "You're very tall. Much taller than Mama. Do you want to be my friend?"

"Of course! And Mama is a little short, isn't she?" Solomon said, and Aloha giggled.

"Very short."

"Thanks, sweetheart." Hawaii deadpanned, and Kālahui scoffed at it.

Surely if Aloha continued to show how mean and rude she was, Hawaii would have no choice but to send her back and request she never return.

"And this is American Samoa, Sammy."