Eight

Nikolai Dimitri Leonov

I feel anger boiling under my skin. This cannot be happening again. "What do you mean the shipment was hijacked, again."

I was fuming but I did not once let that show on my face. That didn't stop pure fear from being shown on my men's faces. This was not the first time this has happened recently and due to the current patterns, I doubted it would be the last.

"We don't know sir." one of my men spoke up. "We were meant to collect the shipment from the Italians but when we got there there was nothing."

"And what have the Italians said?" I barked out, I doubted the Italians would betray us, they ran on loyalty but I needed the full story.

"They sent us footage of them leaving their docks with the shipment, but when they were near our docks the footage went dark. All their men are dead."

I crossed my arms, feeling the tight cotton pulling against my skin. I knew it wasn't the Italians but now I felt awful knowing they lost men to this when I was worried about my supply. I left the room, not giving anyone more acknowledgement, dialling a number that was answered just when I had stepped foot into my office.

"I thought I told you to lose my number."

Despite everything, a faint smile rose on my face. "Hello to you too Ximena."

"What do you want, stronzo? I'm busy." asshole, only Livia Ximena Di Vittorio could get away with disrespecting me, it was even though I fought back with her in return. She always gave as good as she took.

"Well, it's a good thing I'm not calling for my pleasure then," I say my voice going serious, she hears the shift and I can almost picture her sitting up taller in her chair. "What happened to the shipment?"

"What shipment?" If it were anyone else I would assume they were playing coy, acting. But this was Livia.

"You don't know yet?" I assumed she did, she pretty much oversaw everything to do with the inner workings of her mafia-like I did, while her father dealt with outer communications.

"Vincenzo." I hear her call for her brother. "What the frick has happened to the Russian shipment."

I sat in silence as I heard her being filled in, they had just as much information as we did which wasn't much, I waited in more silence until I heard the faint slam of a door proving her to be alone again.

"Why didn't you know as soon as it happened?" I demand to know.

"I've been dealing with other things." She evades the question. "Enzo's been helping with my responsibility until I sort out some things, he was on his way to inform me. I want the bodies of my men sent down."

"Of course," I replied which was basic courtesy. "Are you okay?"

"Don't act like we're friends, Leonov." She bites back and despite her being terrified I can only smile, if she still has her fire then she's fine. She isn't as scary when we are two thousand five hundred kilometres away.