Twenty-Five

Livia Ximena Di Vittorio

I loathed these meetings with every ounce of my being. If these men had any hope that they could boss me around to their will, then they were sorely mistaken. My hands were clasped together, resting together with my elbows on the table in front of me. My back was straight and my head was high. These people had nothing on me and everyone knew it. But it was involuntary to attend a meeting when they were called, much to my distaste.

There were twelve of us in this room, and I was the only female. Six consiglieres and then my father, grandfather, uncle, Vincenzo and my cousin Diego.

Vincenzo and Diego were both in line to be able to take the spot as my right hand. Luciano had an advantage in position if he decided he wanted to be involved, but at the moment, the two had been trying to prove themselves worthy. Their spots as Capos were guaranteed when I took over the future, though.

The council of consiglieres all sat opposite my family, and I could study them and their emotions. Not that they showed much. These men knew more about the mafia than I did. They had decades' worth of experience on me.

"Livia is worthy of her title." My father declared, "And I find it absurd we are even debating this."

"She messed up last night?" Edgardo states he was the one I hated the most out of all of them.

"Where?" My dad questions. "There was an attack, she responded first and helped all the men who had been attacked because none of our people died last night."

"Fifteen men escaped the scene." Edgardo fights back.

"And we have twenty men in our custody," Dad answers back.

"Enough." The loud booming voice silences the bickering in the room. My grandfather Cosimo Di Vittorio was a very scary man. He had led the Italian Mafia for over forty years before my dad took over. He was still very involved in all affairs. His title now was The Padrino, the godfather of the mafia. He still had the most and almost the final say in all dilemmas. The only time he didn't have the last say was when my father, the current don and I as the heir had our votes together, then we could override his command. Not that we ever did. He knew best all the time. My grandfather was who I went to with all my questions. He was my mentor. "Why are you both acting like children over a silly matter? Livia, explain what happened last night."

"I was called out at lunchtime saying there had been an ambush at one of the docking points. I left here straight away to deal with it. There was a fight, and we were outnumbered, but the backup was on its way. I helped in the fight and went after the man who was calling the shots, but I could not find any identification as they were all wearing ski masks. As backup arrived, many tried to flee, but we contained over half of the assailants. Out of the twenty-five men that were fighting, twenty-one of them were admitted into our hospital and six of them needed surgery, but all are fine now and we have no deaths."