Thirteen

Livia Ximena Di Vittorio

Our mafia base was pretty far from our house, about forty minutes away. It was safer for our family that was, but it also meant being trapped in a car with the one person who loves to argue as much as I do.

Actually no, Nikolai doesn't like to argue with just anyone. He just likes to argue with me. The first argument had ensued before we had even left the house.

"I want to drive." Nikolai presses his point but I hold firm.

"And so do I, it's my car." I cross my arms, his eyes staring down at me.

"You're half asleep, if I die in a car accident after all I've done in my life then it would be a disgusting way to go."

Well, he had a point there, I knew if we were to go it would most likely be in a shootout or a bomb, some attack of sorts. Dying in a car crash of my fault would be incredibly disappointing. But I didn't let him know I agreed with him, I was so tired. But not even my dad could read me as well as Nikolai could so he knew the moment I had conceded and held out his hand for my car keys.

Sliding into the passenger seat of my car was weird, I keep my head facing forward but look at Kai out of the corner of my eye. "Why didn't we take your car?"

Nikolai had spent a lot of time here in his life so it made sense for him to have his vehicles as I had at his house. We had spent alternating school holidays at each other's houses, Sebastian and Zion's houses also in the rotation.

"Because I wanted to use yours." He says like I was stupid. I ignore his tone and flip on music to hopefully cut the building tension that had been growing in the silence. I pull out my laptop since I have free time on my hands and start replying to emails.

Nikolai and I wouldn't talk about business in the car, it was always easier to plant bugs in vehicles than any other place because they were always out of the house and view of guards. Unless it was imperative that we talked then we would do a sweep of the car first, but otherwise, we would wait until we got to a secure building.

I start singing under my breath so the songs playing, Kai drumming along on the steering wheel.

I put away my things when we reach the entrance to the forest, there was a hidden trail that led up to the base. We had also just driven over a pressure plate alerting whoever was on guard of our presence. Dad had chosen a forest because it was easier to hide our men, right now I knew there were dozens of men hiding out, watching us.

Nikolai drove around to the back gate that led to the private garage that only my family and I could access. It had an elevator leading right to the corridors for our offices. There were minimal interactions. As much as we trusted our men there were always traitors, people that could either be sold out or blackmailed and the fewer people knew about us the better. It was safe for myself and my family.