Twenty

Twelve years ago

Twelve years ago

Third Person's POV

The young girl ran to catch up with her father, not wanting to be left behind. The older man smiled down at the young girl who gripped his hand.

"What are we doing here, Papa?" She asked inquisitively.

"Well I'm working, you came along because you didn't want to go to school." The girl's face scrunched, of course, she didn't, she had to sit still for hours learning things she had no interest in, she would rather be at home with her dad or her stepmother, maybe spending time with her baby brother.

"I want to work too." The fierce girl declared proudly, wanting to be just like her father was.

"Is that so?" The man asked and chuckled softly as her head nodded at a rapid pace. He picked the girl up and set her on his hip so she could see what he could. "Well let's teach you then, yeah."

"Uh-huh." Heads tipped down as they walked through the building, Livia didn't notice it as odd as it had been this way for her all her life, it wasn't fear in the air but respect, all who worked there respected Angelo Di Vittorio, he was a fair boss and one that cared about all who worked for him. He stopped on the balcony overlooking the soldiers training in combat outside. Livia watched in awe, she had seen her dad and uncle working out and practising fighting before but they hadn't exposed her to the level these men were training at yet "What do you do for work?"

"Well neonata, I have a very important job," Angelo tells his daughter. "My duty is to look after everyone here, make sure that they aren't hurt, that they have enough food and money for the things they need. I have to protect their families if someone wants to hurt us"

"Why would someone want to hurt us?" Livia asked innocently, unaware of all the evils of the world. "Did we do something bad?"

"Sometimes it's inevitable, someone will do something bad, it might be one of us or it might be one of them." He gestures to the men. "Sometimes we don't do anything but people are greedy and are never satisfied with what they have so they try to take our things."

"Like when Allie takes my toys?"

"Almost, except your sister doesn't know any better, she's just a child and wants to be just like you, children need to learn values because it's human nature to want to do wrong. These people have learnt the difference between right and wrong and still choose the wrong choice."

"Why do we have to help if they do it though." She gestures to the men training.

"Because we are family, if you choose them as an employee then you are responsible for their actions. Like if you did something bad I would be in trouble as well because I'm the one who looks after you. Understand?"

"Yes, papa." The girl puts her finger to her lip and thinks. "Will I do what you do when I'm older, take care of all these people?"

"If you want to, neonata. It is your choice. But it isn't as easy as just looking after everyone. You have to train, and train especially hard. You have to learn how to fight, and how to protect yourselves and others. It is a very hard job but one of the best because you can make a difference. There aren't many jobs you can make an impact in, darling as much as people say you can but this is one of them."

Livia watched the men fighting, they were taking turns fighting one another, and a trainer stopped them when they did something wrong and corrected them. She wouldn't mind learning that, like Adelina had started learning and Nikolai had started to, he had shown her when he came down in the summer.

"What will I be if I take over?"

"You will be the boss. The big boss."

"That's important, isn't it?"

"Very much so."

"Do you think I can do it?" Wide green eyes stared into her father's identical ones. "I heard Nonno Cossimo saying that my brothers were going to be the bosses."

"They might have been." Angelo agrees. "But you might have also been? Even with your brothers here, Livia, this title would have gone to the most capable of all of you. But it doesn't matter, because you are strong enough to, with an enough effort from you, you will be incredible."

"Is it going to be hard?"

Angelo smiled. "The hardest part will be right here." he tapped her head. "There are going to be a lot of people that will tell you you can't do it, Livia but let me tell you something there is a very special gesture reserved for those people." He took her head and showed her her middle finger. "If anyone tells you that you can't do something, show them this finger okay?"

Livia giggled, already aware of the vulgar action, she has grown up around a bunch of mafia men who don't know how to act around a child after all.

"Mama says that's bad."

"Well, then it will just have to be our secret, hm?" Angelo kissed her cheeks.

"Promise." The six-year-old laughed.

She knew she was going to have to work hard, and she knew she was going to encounter people who didn't believe in her but she conquered it, she worked harder than anyone but herself knew of, to make her father proud, to make herself proud.

And she did.

Livia Ximena Di Vittorio grew up to be one of the best heirs internationally, who never stood for anybody disrespecting her. 

Quick little update to get you through to Sunday

What do we think of Angelo and Livia? I love writing doting fathers, bonus points if they're single parents.

I made a TikTok and it inspired me to write this so if you're on Tiktok or Instagram go and check it out, my socials are linked in the picture above.

Well that's it for now, please vote and comment and I will see you Sunday.

Happy reading 

Ara <3