Twenty-Three

Livia Ximena Di Vittorio

I was stunned at how well Dante was doing. Since I had started with Romeo, I let Dante go work with Zion first while I sat reading through files on my laptop, or well trying to instead I sat analysing my older brother and how rapidly he was picking up on everything.

Once I started acquainting him with handguns, he flew through the lesson with amazing accuracy. I hadn't needed to give him any corrections. In all honesty, I think he's done this before.

"You've done lessons before?" I ask casually, like I don't care. I watch as Dante freezes before trying to regain his composure.

"No, I must just be a natural."

Sure, I mentally roll my eyes. Was anyone ever a natural with guns? It was something you had to learn as they were so many factors you had to know. Precision and accuracy and how to handle the weapon, all things he had been doing like he had been doing for many years and I was starting to think he had.

Dante was lying to me, why I don't know. And why would he have had lessons in the first place since the whole reason Delia had taken them away was to get out of this?

But one thing he didn't seem to know about was his body language and how telling it was. Especially to the trained eye. There wasn't much he could keep a secret when saying things out loud.

"Oh," I say. "It would have been cool if you did."

He relaxes, and I want to roll my eyes. Could he be any more obvious?

I could see Dante's ego inflate with every good shot he took and it kind of pissed me off. There was nothing more infuriating than the male ego. And of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't knock him down a peg, or a hundred.

"Well, we still have a lot to work on, but good try today, Dante." I nod at him and the look he gave me was a dark one. He looked aggravated at my comment. Did he want a gold star or something? He might have got them all in the centre ring, but he wasn't once on bull's eye. "We need to work on your consistency. You might hit close to the middle, but you aren't there yet."

I gave him a couple more corrections, but instead of taking them like he should have been; he looked offended that I was giving him any at all. I wasn't sure if it was because I was his little sister, but he needed to grow up.

A timer sounded around the room, and I wanted to sigh in relief. It was lunch and that meant I was done with Dante for today. I had the twins after lunch but they and Romeo were fine and we got along okay.

I hold my hand out for Dante's gun and put it away, but I keep mine tucked into my jeans where he could see it. It was a power play, and we both knew it; I was taking away his, yet I still had mine and he could see exactly where it was. But Dante needed a reminder of who was actually running the show here, and I couldn't exactly say it out loud.