Chapter Thirty-One

Third Person's POV

Third Person's POV

Moments earlier...

Romeo's head was wandering. No matter how he tried to focus on the conversation with his newly met grandparents and, uncle he couldn't. He was so far out of his element that his brain was dissociating from the conversation as a way to save him from it.

He had been fine in the room until then; sure he had felt a little over his head walking into a room full of gazillionaires but he could manage. What was hard was talking with total strangers like they were family.

It was the first time he realised he didn't think of his sister and father so much as strangers anymore, either. They weren't family, but they weren't mysterious people he happened to share DNA with.

His head swivelled around the room. Martino was taking control of the talking like he always did, with Matteo adding a few comments here and there to keep the stories Martino was spewing off as accurate as possible. Dante was watching for any threats towards them but even he was commenting on a few things which were out of character for him. Romeo thought he must have been more comfortable with these people because they were related to his mother.

Romeo was allowed to slink back into the background of the conversation like he always did, even though he wasn't the middle child, he felt like the fit in like one. He was shorter than Dante, but taller than the twins. He wasn't as smart as Matteo was, but he did feel like he was higher ranked in intelligence than Martino and Dante. There were so many situations he just blended in and he loved it.

"So, what do you all do?" Altea, their uncle's wife, asked. She was the nicest in Romeo's opinion and he didn't understand what she was doing in a family like there.

"At the moment, we haven't been doing much." Martino answered. "But back home, I have a job at a garage fixing cars. Matteo and Romeo are in college, and Dante's a firefighter."

"Oh, how lovely." Altea smiled at them. Although she was nice, Romeo didn't really like her for some reason. He seemed to like the more rugged characters, the ones who were involved in the world of the underground. He had already taken a liking to his overly unemotional grandfather, who had some nothing but grunt all evening.

"Well, we have to go around and greet a couple of other guests." Their grandmother, Viola, announced after a bit of small talk. It only took minutes for the brothers to be left alone.

"So what do you think of this?" Martino questions his brothers. Now they have been left alone. "Imagine if we had grown up going to things like this. It's insane."

"It's weird, but I think it would have been normal if mom wasn't a kidnapper," Matteo answers his twin; Romeo can't help but snort at his older brother, calling his mother a kidnapper. Dante though, glowers at the older twin.

"She can't be a kidnapper if she's our mother."

"The definition of a kidnapper is someone taking away someone illegally. We sure as hell didn't leave the country legally, Dan." Matteo scoffs. "It doesn't matter if she was our mother or not, our father is still a parent and you need both parents' consent to be able to take the children out of the country."