Thirty-Eight

Livia Ximena Di Vittorio

I was almost certain I was making a mistake, no scratch that I was one hundred percent certain there had to be at least some brain damage I had acquired throughout my years of idiocy.

I press the button on the side of my phone and it lights up displaying the time, ten minutes past ten. I was unsure if people in Russia were the same but in Italy if it said a party Started at eight it would only really begin after nine-thirty, so an two hours and ten minutes after the time on the invitation had said I was sitting in my car starting at the mansion I had been to numerous times during my childhood wondering if I should actually go in.

I stared at the house that was bustling with people and flashing lights knowing my decision was already made.

I was no coward.

 I walk from my car, pulling my jacket tight against me to try and keep me from the negative temperatures but it does little to help. I run up the stairs, eager to make it into the warmer temperatures of the house.

A tall bulky man stood at the door with a tablet, a few other people mainly girls hung around the door as well, The bouncer looked me up and down and very blandly says. "Name."

I would have never thought Nikolai was popular enough to have guards standing guard at his party but maybe no one else saw his numerous faults like I did.

"Livia Di Vittorio."

The bouncer looked at me uncertain for a second before a look of recognition crosses over this face confirming he worked for Nikolai's mafia. He knew exactly who I was. The man stood taller and glanced at his tablet, stepping back and letting me into the house.

His head tipped down in respect. "Enjoy your evening, Miss Di Vittorio."

"Thank you." I ignore the annoyed looks from the people standing outside, since I had gotten in and they hadn't and made my way into the party.

It was pretty full but not as overwhelming as I thought it would be.

I stood stumped. 

It hit me that I had no idea where I was going or what I was even doing here. Nikolai hadn't known I was coming since it was technically a last minute decision and I half wanted to surprise him.

I walk slowly through the party, my full attention on my surroundings for glimpse of the one person I knew in this whole country.

Everyone seemed to be having a good enough time celebrating the twenty-first birthday of my biggest headache.

I body pushes into me, making him stumble back a few steps but I stay in place. My head whips to watch the unknown man, a man with light brown hair and dark eyes but the palest skin I had ever seen. All these people needed to be introduced to something called sunlight.