Thirty

Livia Ximena Di Vittorio

The previously well-lit ballroom was in darkness, the multitudes of people in the room were now moving around in chaos while I was expertly trying to avoid them and make my way to the source of the issue. I could feel the judgement for making my way to the danger instead of away from it, but I didn't even care. All I was focused on was making sure my family was okay. I spin around, wondering exactly which direction I should head in and am ready to shoot when someone grabs my upper arm in a tight grip.

"Kai," I called out, relieved at the familiar face. It was dark, but I could still make out the worried and determined look on his face. His eyes scan my body, probably for injuries. I do the same and a little of the weight on my shoulders loosens. "What happened?"

"Masked gunmen." He replies, hastening to the other side of the room. His hand slips from my upper arm to my wrist to make sure we didn't lose one another. I was running to keep up with him, a feat in the tall heels I was wearing, but my mind wasn't focused on the pain, but on the goal, I needed to accomplish. I was scared. I knew I was, but it wasn't registering in my brain yet, probably because of the adrenaline rushing through my system. I needed everyone safe. "Your mother and Luca have gotten out with everyone. Your father and Vincenzo are running around here somewhere, but we don't know where any of your older brothers are, or Allegra."

"Allie's fine. I was just with her and sent her to the car before this all started."

"You knew?" He accused, questioning my mind rather than my inclusion.

"I figured something was off when a new server set out to spill wine on Allie," I answered him, my mind distracted by where the hell they could have gone. I breathe a sigh of relief when I see Vincenzo coming to us. He was in charge of security, so he should have a vague idea of where people would be. "Do you know where the boys are?"

"No, but they haven't left the building. I can say that for sure." My step-brother assures me, "No one can leave this building without proper approval, even though all the guests are locked in the foyer. My guards are still in position and will alert us if people leave. They're surrounded. No one is getting in or out right now."

"And the roof?" I double-checked it was an old building so there was no helipad, but I was scanning all my bases."

"Of course."

"Good." I nod in approval. "Make sure they stay that way and get four more teams down here to search. No one is leaving until we find all four of them. Get Sebastian and Zion's help and look around here until the teams arrive."

"Already done. They have a couple of their trusted men with them and are already searching. I'm joining them now." He nods. "And backup has already been called."

"Go left and we'll go right," I ordered. "Let me know if you find something, Vincenzo."

"Yes, Boss."

We separate, Nikolai following quickly behind me as the two of us run through the building, trying to pay attention to any disturbances in the quiet. The building was old and was often used for meetings and functions people would like to keep quiet. There were no security cameras inside.

We run up the stone stairs and through the long halls, our pace not slowing. If we were tired, we hadn't let ourselves feel it. It was taking us far too long. The longer we took, the higher the chance of something happening. I notice something and come to a halt.

"Kai," I whisper, stopping my movement. Nikolai freezes. His hair is dishevelled and falling around his face. His blue eyes were wild and ready for anything that was coming his way, the gun in his hands ready to fire at the first chance. "Hear that?"

In the deafening silence of the old stone building, I could just hear, faintly hear, the movement of several people, including one recognisable voice filled with terror and anger.

Dante.

Nikolai looked at me with determination. We had to be silent now. I alerted my exact location for backup, but we couldn't wait. I was well aware of how crucial even a minute can be in this world. It could be the difference between life and death.

We followed the faint sounds, weapons loaded in hand until the sounds got louder and louder.

"This isn't in the blueprints of the building," I mumbled. It made more sense. They know how seriously I take the safety of my family. They wouldn't have been able to leave, so they were planning on staying here until we left thinking they would be able to escape. It was a clever plan, but I knew this building like the back of my hand I remembered hearing of renovations, but I looked into it.

"They thought they could outsmart you." Nikolai scoffs just as quietly as if it was the silliest thing he had ever heard.

My mind races even faster as I try to figure out the best way to go into this, the way I can go into this and get everyone out with no injuries. I knew it was almost impossible, but I was sure as hell going to try.

I freeze as I feel the familiar cold metal of a gun press against my cheek. 

It forces me to look into the eyes of someone I consider my rival, ally, and friend all at once. He was studying me for what felt like forever, but was barely a couple of seconds long.

"Focus Princess." He uses the infuriating nickname, but removes the gun from my cheek. That idiot the safety wasn't even on. He smirks at the pointed glare I send him. "You're not alone, okay? I'm right here with you. Now let's do this, yeah?"

"Yeah." I agree.

"I've got your back, Ximena."

"I know."

A week late I know but I'm a day early for tomorrow

A week late I know but I'm a day early for tomorrow. I'm truly very sorry but I haven't been at home very much in the past few weeks especially with school holidays starting.

Happy easter to everyone and I hope you have a great weekended.

So what do you think of the chapter, Livia and Nikolai are so ready to take down whoever is messing with them, and I can only imagine how the brothers are going to react to their official introduction to the heirs of the Italian mafia and the Russian Bravta.

Have an amazing week and I'll see you soon.

Ara <3