Thirty-Four

Livia Ximena Di Vittorio

"Keep your thumb on the outside of your hand," I instruct staring at the figure who is obliterating the punching bag with a ferocity I haven't seen many use. "You don't want to break your thumb; it's a huge inconvenience to daily life."

"You've broken your thumb before?" There was amusement in his tone as he stepped back from the bag and looked at me. Romeo's hair was soaking with sweat and his muscles looked tight. His hands weren't wrapped properly so his knuckles were split. I grab his t-shirt and lead him to sit on a bench and grab the first-aid kit. I start adding disinfectant to the wound and wrapping his hands in bandages, split knuckles ached but an affected wound was so much worse.

"I've broken a lot of bones before, but my thumb I broke once and I never risked it again, it took so long to heal and when you hurt your hand, you are so limited on what you can do with it." After I finish bandaging his hand, I wrap it. "Look here, wrap it like this so when you punch the bag you don't tear your knuckles."

"Your knuckles look like you don't wrap them." Romeo laughs softly. I glance at my hand and see all the white lines that are crossed over one another many times from all the times that it's healed, and then I've gone out and split them again.

"Those aren't from a punching bag, Rome." I laugh. "In the real world, when you want to punch someone, then you don't normally have the time to go and wrap your hands."

"Have you gotten into a lot of fights, Liv?" Romeo asks, amused.

"Honestly, since I've left high school, they have significantly decreased if you must know." I shake my head. Who knew that I would get into more fights with angry teenagers than actual criminals who I encounter on a weekly basis? "Dad used to get so fed up with Vincenzo and me when we were in school together, we were in one fight a week on the minimum. I think he's just glad he only had Allegra and Luciano in school since they don't cause a tenth of the ruckus we did."

"They don't seem like the type to be getting involved in fights." Romeo agreed. He looked like he wanted to ask me something but was scared to pry, but with the look I gave him, he spat it out. "What's the deal with you and Vincenzo?"

"What do you mean?" Truthfully, my relationship with my step-brother is complicated. Not that many people realise it.

"I think you know what I mean," Romeo scoffs. He leans back in his seat and I roll my eyes but take a seat opposite him. Who knew going to the gym at two in the morning would result in a heart-to-heart with a biological brother I had just met?

"Enzo is my brother, by everything but blood. I've known him since I was four and he was six. Our childhood was good. I think I was happy to not be an only child and have children around me and Enzo liked that I was up for anything, unlike Allegra, who felt so much younger and couldn't keep up with him. We both loved when Luciano came into the picture. He finally got a brother, and I got a baby, someone to protect because I still wasn't close to Allegra. Vincenzo and I were playmates more than anything; he was closer with Uncle Massimo's son, Diego, if you remember him. And unlike me who always knew the life I was born in, Vincenzo and Allegra, and even Luciano weren't told about the mafia until just after their thirteenth birthday."