Fourteen

Nikolai Dimitri Leonov

Livia was asleep.

I was honestly surprised it had taken her this long to pass out. She has been on the verge of falling asleep all day but like most things, she fights it until she cannot take it anymore.

It was one of the things I admired about her, she never stopped fighting, her strength far succeeded anyone else I had ever met in my entire life. And maybe that's always why I fought with her, I loved to see the fire grow in her that I knew would burn anyone that got too close. I was almost immune to her fire but if she wanted to torch me to ashes I would happily take it.

I glance at the time on my phone, I knew we needed to leave now if we wanted to be back in time for dinner but we still had almost an hour's drive until we reached her place. I could leave her to sleep longer in the car but once she woke up I doubted she would go back asleep but if I picked her up then it would be likely that she would castrate me.

I run through the pros and cons list in my head before acting on impulse and slipping my arms under her legs and picking her up. I go down the elevator to the garage I knew would be deserted, if there was the possibility of being seen I would have never done this, that would have guaranteed me a spot in a grave.

But Liv needed sleep, she was far less terrifying once she had a couple of hours in her.

Carefully I maneuver to open the door and set her down in the passenger seat, trying my best to be gentle, she was a ridiculously light sleeper and it wouldn't take much to get her up. I wasn't surprised she hadn't woken up already proving she was far more tired than she let on.

The car ride was noiseless. I wasn't taking my chances and putting on any music, instead, Livia's soft breathing filled the small space. Half an hour into the drive I see her start to shift, and then she sits up taller, looking around. Her hand rises to rub her eyes but I stop her. "That's bad for your eyes."

"What am I doing here, Leonov." her voice is raspy, I pass her the water bottle I had taken from her office and she takes it without question. I wait until she has taken a couple of sips before answering.

"What does it look like?" I tease. "We're heading back."

"And why didn't you wake me up?"

"Well you're very scary when you're tired and an even scarier person to wake up, so I picked the obvious answer."

"Of course." She mutters sarcastically. The two of us sit in utter silence for a little more, we were minutes away from her estate before Livia broke it. "Can you stop thinking so loud?"

"How does someone think loud?" I ask incredulously I turn to face her since we were at a traffic light.

"I don't know but somehow you've managed it." She mutters, releasing a sigh that blows the strands of hair that had fallen into her face before they settle back where they had lifted from. I take my eyes off her and focus back on the road in front of me. "What are you even thinking about."