Thirty-Six

Livia Ximena Di Vittorio

"Matteo," I call out, looking around for my second-oldest brother.

"Hey, what's up?" He replied, looking up from his book, he was buried in the library like he always seemed to be. It was his coping mechanism.

"I'm heading into the university for a couple of classes this morning, Dad said might be good for you to come with me and I show you around, maybe sign you up for some classes and whatnot."

Matteo stops and scrutinises me, almost like he couldn't tell if I was kidding or not. "Do you want to come or not, you'll have to it with me through my classes though and I know you don't want to study business."

"No, I want to come." He says far too quickly. "Let me go get dressed quickly."

He retreats quickly and I watch after him. I think Matteo was the most different from me, he didn't have the drive I did for more and more, and he didn't want to put himself on display for the word and command armies at his will. Matteo is going to build a nice life for himself, he's going to get a nice job on the right side of the law, and he's probably going to get a lovely wife and have a couple of kids meanwhile I'm not even sure if I want kids or to get married, I know I need an heir of my own but that was a future issue.

"Aren't you meant to be at school, Luciano?" I scold as I walk into the kitchen and see my little brother still there, sitting with Martino and Romeo. He and Allegra had been staying with Uncle Massimo for the past few days after the gala just to let things settle down a bit here. Dad had always tried to shield the two of them since they were still young but Dad didn't believe in just missing school for no reason so I was surprised he was still home at almost eleven in the morning.

"Dad let me have the day off?" Luciano spoke innocently, I found it hard to believe as the man had only let me miss school a handful of times when I was deathly ill or I had to go out of the country for business trips or training with him.

"Did he now?" Luciano nodded his head furiously, I couldn't detect any lies in his tone but I was still sceptical so I did the only thing I could think of, turning on my heels and marching towards my dad's office.

"Daaaaad!"

"Cos'è, Livia?" What is it, Livia? My father was seated behind his large desk, and many files piled up around him. "Don't you need to get going to your classes?"

I couldn't help it, I let out a scoff and take a seat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. "You're going on about me going to class but you are letting Luca bunk, the hypocrisy."

My father looked at me with a deadpan expression. "And how many classes have you been to this month, Livia Ximena?"

"Technically all of them, just not in person but that is because you have been keeping me soooo busy." I lie sideways across the chair, my head hanging off one of the armrests and my feet off the other. I was being very dramatic, I know but if I didn't act like a kid once in a while I'd be acting like an old woman in a few years.