Thirty-Two

Nikolai Dimitri Leonov

"How the heck did he get away?" Livia demands, but it wasn't intended for anyone but herself. She couldn't blame her brothers and she knew both she and I had done the best in the situation. There were two of us against nine men.

And only one had gotten away. It was a win in my books, but I knew how hard Livia's council was being on her and the issues they had about her last raid, even though it went fine.

The most major issue, though, as it was clear he was the man in charge. All the other people we have taken into custody were nothing but lackeys who couldn't tell us anything.

"He slipped out the back door." Romeo inserts himself into the conversation. He was still tied up while Livia and I were releasing the others. It was clear he wasn't a priority, as no apprehension was evident on his face. Livia had gone to Martino first, so I went to Matteo instead of Dante out of spite. I didn't like him, so he could wait a couple more minutes.

Livia directed a glare at her slightly older brother. "Thank you for that astonishing revelation, Romeo. I wonder what I can do with such astute information."

"Livia," I warn. Romeo was amused by her sarcasm, but I could tell it was bothering the others. They were all shaken up and not taking this the best. Livia meets me with the same glower she had sent Romeo, but she must read something on my facial expression because she dissolves the fierceness running through her. Once we get all four brothers out, we pull them through the halls quickly, but they still see the knocked-out men slumped against the wall.

"What did you do to them?" Romeo asks sounding delighted. He had been in the room when we started fighting them, but we had moved the combat away from their view. "Are they dead?"

The men hadn't been wounded much. We had made quick work of knocking them out, but all of them had cuts and bruises in view of the boys. It didn't appal me anymore, but from small-town boys like these, the sight was gruesome.

"Don't sound so elated." Livia remarks, "And no they're not dead, just merely passed out."

"Oh," Romeo sounded dissatisfied and I couldn't help the sound of amusement that spilled from my lips.

He was so much like his sister, and neither of them had acknowledged it yet.

"Your father is waiting for you and your brothers. The cops are here?" I remind them that we have to rush.

"Are you guys going to be in trouble?" Matteo frowns.

"No, why?" Livia asks like it was the dumbest question anyone had ever asked her, walking ahead of the group in case we run into any more danger, just like I was behind everyone.

"The cops are here, Livia," Martino tells her like she was dense for not understanding his twin.

"We're in Italy; you seem to forget this has been the family business for years. The fortuitous ones in this country eat out of the palm of my hand, the rest eat the crumbs I drop."