Twenty-Four

Nikolai Dimitri Leonov

I watched Livia listen to the voice on the other side of the call; I had watched her go from carefree to uptight in a matter of minutes.

"Dove?" Where? She asks into the phone. I bite my lip, worry creeping through me as I listen to the call. We were all still seated around the table where we were having lunch. I had been planning on pulling Livy away to try to make amends for last night, but she and Adelina had snuck away and as soon as they had reentered the room Livia's phone rang. She paces the room as she listens. "Sto arrivando." I'm on my way.

She switches off her phone and looks over at us apologetically.

"Zion?"

"Don't worry, I've got you." Relief crosses her face, and she walks to us quickly to grab her things, giving Zion a quick fist bump as she passes dashing out of the door, throwing us a quick goodbye over her shoulder.

"Where'd she go?" Martino asks, I kept forgetting these people didn't speak Italian, Livia and I spoke it unintentionally a lot of the time, I mean English wasn't either of our first languages, so why would we? When we were in Italy, we spoke Italian; in Russia, we spoke Russian. But I felt bad because oftentimes they must think we are leaving them out intentionally when it wasn't the case at all.

"I don't know," Sebastian answers for us. "Probably something happened at work. You don't ask questions."

The brothers didn't seem to like that answer, but it was the truth. You don't ask questions, especially on the other soil. Here I was fair game. If Livia wanted to murder me she would have no repercussions in doing so, and if I pissed her off enough, I wouldn't put it past her.

"Is she going to be okay?" Romeo asks. My eyes shoot up a little. It seems like an hour's bonding had done them well. Before Romeo had to be the least trusting of Livia. After Dante, of course, but he had his own stuff going on, so he didn't count.

"Let me tell you a secret. Livia might look small and like a tree could blow her over, but she's one of the hardest people to kill. She's basically indestructible." Sebastian hypes her up to her brother. I would say Sebastian spent the most time with Livia out of all of us. He was always in Italy, but I wasn't sure if it was to see Livia or Camilla. Zion and I saw each other the most out of the two of us but that was because he was always doing work in Russia.

"I wouldn't go that far," Zion mutters. "But she knows what she's doing, so don't worry, she'll be fine."

I knew Livia would be fine, she always was, but I couldn't help but worry. My fingers go up to massage my temple, feeling a headache coming on. There was nothing I could do unless Livia specifically called me in, so I needed to stop panicking. She'll be fine.

As if I could ever stop worrying about her.

I turn back to the brothers, ordering Romeo and Dante to get up. Well, teaching people how to fight had one perk, and that was being able to use my fist to burn up my anger in the name of learning.