Twenty-Eight

Being in the presence of Italy's elite and mingling with the rich and famous wasn't something the Di Vittorio brothers ever thought they would be doing

Being in the presence of Italy's elite and mingling with the rich and famous wasn't something the Di Vittorio brothers ever thought they would be doing. They never even thought much past leaving their small town after college to start their own lives and families but that now all seemed like a distant memory, something vague they couldn't picture for themselves anymore.

It was funny how your life did a one-eighty in such a short period of time.

Hundreds of eyes stared in their direction, the ones aimed at them were mostly ones of confusion and curiosity but the gazes directed towards Livia were admiration, fear and brave ones looked at her with dislike and disdain.

Yet she didn't look affected or even seem to notice, but they know she does. She seems to notice things even when she doesn't seem to pay attention. Heads tipped down as their little sister passed in fear and respect.

The brothers had only just caught a glimpse of Livia's power. They were only understanding just how much she controlled. Livia handed her brother's power. She let them think they had control of the situation, but now they realised it was all just a ploy, a way to toy with them and see just what they were made of. To see if they had the drive that she did, and they weren't sure if they did.

Walking through the opulent room, people parted for Livia, not for them, but just for her. They could do nothing but follow her. This wasn't the sister they had known with the smart mouth and cocky grins. She was walking through the room with tall shoulders and a blank expression, and just the way she held herself showed the extent of her social standing.

Everyone here was afraid of her.

And they were wondering if maybe they should fear their sister, too.

They follow Livia up a flight of stairs leading to a platform overlooking the hall where everyone else was. They approached a setup of tables filled with people they knew and some they didn't. The boys were quick to realise that this was where the real elite was. The ones who truly controlled everything. Down below were just the rich, these were the wealthy. They didn't belong here.

Their father beckoned them to come closer, unsurely they left the comfort of being their sister's shadow, she didn't once turn back to look and see if they were okay but walked right up to one table occupying an older couple, another couple who looked to be about their parents' age and a man about Dante's. The man their age pulled their sister into a hug, one which she easily returned, proving her familiarity with someone who was a stranger to them.

Angelo stood with their grandfather and an older woman.

The lady gasped as she took them in. "I miei nipoti, my grandsons."

They immediately liked this woman. She had a lovingness in her gaze as she looked at them, but they could also sense the fierceness and dangerous traits that everyone in this family seemed to have, and they were wondering why those traits missed them. They would certainly be helpful in times like this when they were so far out of their element.