thirty-one

Song: SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK - Joji

~

Theodore Nott

*couple weeks later*

Thursday

She's been ignoring me flat. I fucked her, she suddenly had a boyfriend. I helped her with an abusive drunk, she hates me. It's like she had been against me since day one.

I couldn't explain how upset I was, but there was nothing I could do. She wasn't my problem. She had a boyfriend. She wasn't mine to worry about.

Yet, knowing she wasn't even going to be so far away during the holidays, didn't make it better.

It was obvious that I should've just gotten over her ages ago, but if she even just gives me a glance, I cannot help but fade into her eyes or smile. She lit my heart. She had me going to class, despite knowing she'd ignore me anyways.

She had me crazy.

Now, walking through the train, searching for Alex and Draco, or whoever I knew.

By the time I neared the back of the train, I was wondering if they had even gotten on the train. Yet, once I peeped into a booth, and Daisy sat alone, my mind was at peace.

"May I?"

"Sure."

Her words were careless, and it definitely left a mark - along with all the other cold shoulder responses she had been giving me. I sat down across from her, seeing her look out of the cart at the hundreds of students still trying to get onto the train.

"How are you?" I asked, but I didn't get much of a reply. She just shrugged, not a word leaving her lips. "Not good, or you don't know?" I asked.

Daisy sighed, looking at me. "What do you want, Theo?"

"A normal conversation, or at least a fucking straight answer," I laughed, as if it wasn't clear. "Why do you hate me?"

She scoffed, and then started laughing. Was she going crazy?

"Oh you better be fucking kidding me," she laughed. "Now you want to act like we're friends? Since when?"

My eyes - and facial expression - were clear with confusion. "Please explain to me what the hell you mean by that."

She sat up straight, facing me. "Screw you, Nott-"

"No," I said as I leaned forward, resting my arms on my legs. "Tell me what's your problem with me. Why do you hate me? Why are you choosing some guy who cannot even act normal when drunk over the one person who excepted you since day one-"

"Oh, the guy who says that I'm not good enough for anyone?" she started laughing. "I'm a pointless seed. I'm a thorn. I'm a slut. I'm irritating. I'm useless."

I sighed. Mattheo really had those words sink into her skin, didn't he...

"You really think I meant all that," I chuckled. "Don't you think that maybe, just maybe I lied to have him not want you?"

Rolling her eyes, Daisy lift her feet back onto the seat, while look out of the window. "Whatever."

"Not 'whatever'," I groaned. "Daisy, I'd sell my soul to not have you date that asshole. You underestimate me."

She looked at me, and her lips parted to say something, but she didn't say a word. Mattheo appeared in the doorway with Alex and Astoria behind him. They flooded into the cart, and seated themselves wherever they pleased. Mattheo sat down beside Daisy, his hand slipping right into hers.

"Oh and home we go," Alex sighed, sinking into the couch beside me.

My eyes met Daisy's, and for the first time since that night, I saw her actually wanting to talk to me. It made my heart grow and my legs weaken.

~

"Bye," Daisy smiled as she and Astoria finally let go of each other.

"Ready to go?" Alex asked us, making us turn to him.

Daisy nodded, and we ended up following after him through the train station. None of us were surprised that our parents didn't show up - except for Draco. He wasn't happy.

I walked behind the rest of the group, my eyes stuck on Daisy. She walked with her hand in Mattheo's, even though he was practically ignoring her flat and talking to Draco. I rolled my eyes, but didn't say anything.

We caught a cab to the town near the Malfoy Manor, where we said goodbye to Daisy. She had to walk home, clearly not having a ride. Not that we could help, of course. There wasn't a road to their house, I've noticed.

"This is going to be shitty," Draco groaned. "Death Eater meetings all break, and we have to be part of it-"

"Shut it, Malfoy," Mattheo bit. "Just be thankful that you're included."

"Whatever," Draco groaned, rolling his eyes, looking out of the window.

He was right. Our parents had us attend the meetings during break; or at least these that weren't 'top secret'. It was annoying honestly. We weren't allowed to give our opinions. We're only allowed to do as demanded, or we shut the fuck up. It is how it is, and we'd be dead if we didn't follow those rules.

~

Staring out of my window, I looked desperate. I wanted to jump and go look for that lonely tree, but would Daisy be there? I didn't want to risk it...

So instead I just looked. It was going to get dark soon anyways, and I'm sure Daisy wouldn't be wondering the plains in darkness. She hated it anyways. Never knew what lured around.

So I'd look for her tomorrow. We've got the whole break, right?