Chapter 12 - Einar

* Trigger Warning *

I've been sleeping a lot. It's been hard to keep track of what day it was because I was waking up and sleeping at all times of the day and night. Every time I woke, I was relieved to see mom there with me.

When I was awake, I didn't stay that way long. While I woke up many times, I never went to the bathroom. I just never had the urge. Even after all this time. Or maybe it's all still the same day.

Sometimes, the doctors have been the ones to wake me up. They kept asking me to repeat my name, the date, where I am, and what happened to me. I was still dizzy, but I felt my mind coming back.

It was becoming easier for me to remember the times I woke up and the conversations around me. It was also easier to remember I needed to lie about what happened at the golf course. Part of me remembered telling the doctors already, but that feels more distant every time I wake up.

I woke up one morning and asked my mom for my phone. Turning the screen on, the bright screen immediately hurt my head. I moved the phone away.

"Whats wrong honey?" mom asked.

I held the phone in her direction. "Please put it in dark mode and put the brightness to the lowest."

With my eyes closed, I felt the phone pull out of my hand. I kept my hand held out until she set my phone back in my hand. Opening my eyes, it was much better this time. I found messages from Noah asking how I was. I could think and respond, but I had to keep it short.

The next time I woke up, the nurse came to bring me for another CT-scan. After I got back to my room, it was over an hour before a new doctor came in to tell us the results. He looked to be in his forties. He told me there was no change to the bruising.

While he said it was good news, I wasn't so sure. I guess I wasn't getting worse, but I was still tired most of the time. The next time I woke, dad was there.

"How are you feeling, buddy?" he asked.

"Still really dizzy and tired." I replied.

"You know I love you right, son," he said.

"I love you too, dad." Not for one moment did I believe he loved me or cared. He was acting for mom. She better not leave me in here with him alone. I turned over and sleep again.

It was difficult to find a comfortable position with the neck brace on and the IV tubes coming from my left hand. Normally I curl up my arms, but I couldn't here. The next time I woke up, mom's parents were there. I heard Eirik say he was going to walk around the waiting area to see if there was anything interesting there.

That night, grandma stayed the night with me so mom could stay home with Eirik over night. She didn't want him sleeping there alone and didn't want to ask his friends' parents to take him every night. Grandma sat next to me and we talked for an hour before I fell asleep again.

The next morning, grandpa came to be with grandma. When the nurse came to take me for my CT-scan, they told me they were going to take off and mom would be here soon. But when I got back from the scan, mom wasn't there yet. But before I got comfortable, there was a knock at the door. 

"Hello, Einar. How are you feeling?" Mr. Clark asked.

My mouth dried. Trying to speak, my mouth felt stuck. "I'm alright. How are you?"

"I'm well. This is Mrs. Sheldon," he said, motioning to the lady beside him. "She is with Child Protective Services. She and I came to talk with you."

All I could do was nod. Whatever moisture was left in my mouth is certainly gone now.